The Economic and Organised Crimes Office (EOCO) in a joint operation with the Medical and Dental Council(MDC) Ghana have arrested 8 health professionals over baby harvesting and trafficking in Accra.
The two organizations have been undertaking a joint investigation over a period of time following a tip-off from a taxi driver upon a conversation between two women who boarded his taxi.
The Executive Director of Economic and organised Crimes Office(EOCO), COP Frank Adu Poku(Rtd) in an interview with the media said they have been investigating the activities of some medical practitioners, nurses, social welfare officers and other individuals who were suspected to be engaged in the illegal act of baby harvesting and human trafficking.
According to him, they carried out investigations into the illegal activities between the periods of June to November 2022 and two medical doctors, two social workers, four nurses, two mothers and one traditional birth attendant have so far been arrested and are on a bail pending further investigation.
He indicated that one Doctor was arrested at his private health facility in Accra. This Doctor is said to have sold the first baby to the investigative team for an amount of thirty thousand Ghana cedis(Ghc30,000.00) and in another health facility in Tema also sold another baby for twenty-Eight Thousand Ghana cedis(Ghc28,000.00) after the suspect agreed to help in purchasing a newborn baby.
“Some Doctors and Nurses who are charged with saving our lives especially during this COVID-19 period when all resources should be geared towards fighting the deadly disease these Doctors are rather selling children. They are selling newborn babies and their modus operanda is that they tell mothers their newborn babies are dead. So we got wind of this and put together a team of investigators who acted like they want to buy babies. For one the Doctor sold the newborn baby for GHC 30,000 and at Tema General hospital some Social Welfare workers, Doctors and Nurses in a joint operation also sold one baby to us for GHC 28,000. For now, we have arrested two doctors, four nurses and two social welfare workers,” COP Adu Poku told the media.
The Acting General Registrar of Medical and Dental Council, Dr. Divine Banyubala who disclosed the identity of some of the Doctors involved in the despicable act said that Dr.Hope Mensah Quashie who works at the Susan clinic with his 3 nurses who were his accomplice were arrested adding that one Dr. Leonard Agbley was also arrested at his health facility in Tema.
Source: MyNewsGh.com/ Ayeh Offei-Akoto/2021
- Two Nurses Arrested For Stealing A Newborn Baby; What Happened Next Will Surprise You!
- Family dog kills newborn twin after mom waited 9 years to have the babies
- God will punish me if I was involved â Ex-minister denies being involved in stripping his staff naked over missing money
- Zone Three Preview: Oda to host Kotoku Royals vs Accra Lions clash, Phar Rangers battle Tema Youth, Accra City FC stars entertain Heart of Lions
- DOL Zone Three results: Nania stops Accra Lions, Tema Youth cripples Accra City, Lions beat Danbort at Kpando
- DOL Match day 27: Weavers play Tema Youth, Accra Lions lock horns with Planners, Skyy FC, Accra City host Mighty Jets – Zone Three
- International Nurses Day: Gbajabiamila hails Nigerian nurses, other health personnel fighting COVID-19
- NY nurses union seeks hospital statistics on coronavirus in nurses
- Poor welfare: NAGGMDP raises the alarm of mass exodus of doctors in Ekiti
- Gov Bala Mohammed begs Bauchi doctors to return home, assures of commitment to health workers’ welfare