By Peter Duru – Makurdi
Three persons were feared dead in a bloody communal clash that broke out between neighbouring Odejo and Ikobi communities in Agatu and Apa Local Government Areas, LGAs respectively, of Benue State.
According to different accounts from the area, some militias from Odejo community on Sunday launched an attack on Ikobi community after it was rumored that an Odejo man whose mother hails from Ikobi was allegedly caught and killed after he purportedly led some armed herdsmen to invade Ikobi community.
Another account has it that killings in the two communities were sparked off by a rival cult war in the two LGAs.
Though a lady and an indigene of Ikobi who spoke on condition of anonymity told Newzandar News that some suspected armed militias from Odejo community Sunday morning invaded Ikobi community, for unknown reasons, shooting sporadically and killed three persons.
According to her “It was late last Saturday night that people started rumouring that Odejo people were coming to attack Ikobi Community.
“The story was that one of their persons got missing in Ikobi and they were coming for reprisal if the person was not produced.
“Then, just this morning being Sunday they came in search of the person shooting sporadically, destroying property and in the process killed three persons.
“As I speak to you, no one can actually tell if there was justification for this barbaric attack because we did not have any previous problem with them and unfortunately the three persons killed were my cousins from same family,” she added.
Also speaking on the attack, the President General Odejo Community Development Association, Mr. Damian Onehi, said there was no existing conflict between the two communities, saying both villages had been relating well with each other as good neighbours.
“This fight broke out as a result of rumour from both sides but I tell you that we have been good neighbours since time immemorial.
“We have never had cause to quarrel over lands as neighbours or over woman. In fact we inter-marry.
“The Ikobi Community were alleging that our people led armed fulani herdsmen to attack them which is not true. Again, they said that a cult group came to kill someone meanwhile the person that was killed in Ikobi is from Odejo but came to take his mother who happened to be an indigene of Ikobi.
“I want to urge security agencies to investigate the cause of this fight between the two communities. This has never happened before”, Onehi said.
When contacted the Benue state Command Public Relations Officer, Deputy Superintendent, DSP, Catherine Anene confirmed the clash saying the command recorded two deaths in the crisis.
“It was a clash between the two communities of Odejo and Ikobi in Agatu and Apa local government areas of the state over land. We have deployed our men to the area. However, two persons lost their lives,” Anene said.
Also, the Force Commander Operation Whirl Stroke, OPWS, Major General Adeyemi Yekini who confirmed the clash said “we have stationed our troops there and everywhere is now calm,” he said.
- Conjoined twins successfully separated at University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (Photos)In Gossip, Health, Viral NewsJanuary 16, 2021A set of conjoined female twins have successfully been separated at the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital. The operation which took place on ...[Read more]
- Insecurity: No plan to engage 4,000 youths – Niger GovernmentIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Street traders at Obikabia and Opobo junctions, Ogbor Hill in Aba, have been given seven days to vacate the streets and move into approved markets in ...[Read more]
- History as “Come Closer” by Wizkid Ft. Drake goes Platinum in CanadaIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 16, 2021Nigerian afrobeat heavyweight, Ayo Balogun better known as Wizkid has become the only Nigerian artiste to go Platinum twice in Canada. The singer ...[Read more]
- “Nothing can break me” – James Brown reacts after Instagram deactivation (Video)In Celebrity NewsJanuary 16, 2021Popular crossdresser, James Brown has addressed the deactivation of his Instagram account following a brawl with Bobrisky. It would be recalled that ...[Read more]
- 99 percent of Buhariâs appointments are not based on merit – Second Republic Minority Leader, Junaid MohammedIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Elder statesman and Second Republic Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, Dr. Junaid Mohammed has stated that over 99 percent of ...[Read more]
- Abia gives 7-day ultimatum to street tradersIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Street traders at Obikabia and Opobo junctions, Ogbor Hill in Aba, have been given seven days to vacate the streets and move into approved markets in ...[Read more]
- South-South and South-East should negotiate for 2023 presidency – ZulumIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno state has asked leaders of the south-south and south-east regions to negotiate for power ahead of 2023. ...[Read more]
- 2021: Crisis in Aso Rock will shake Nigeria, Niger Delta will clash with Fulani, Governor will die – Prophet OkikijesuIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Apostle Paul Okikijesu of the Christ Apostolic Miracle Ministry has claimed in a series of prophecies that God revealed to him there will be a ...[Read more]
- Gunmen kill man in Delta, cart away cashIn Local NewsJanuary 16, 2021Fifteen (15) passengers lost their lives on Friday as two buses burst into flames after they collided along the Maiduguri, Damaturu road. The ...[Read more]
- ”May those who don’t believe COVID-19 is real contract it” —Ifu Ennada PraysIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 16, 2021Reality TV Star, Ifu Ennada prays that those who don’t believe in COVID-19 should contract it. Taking to her social media handle, Ifu Ennada attacks ...[Read more]