The Oyo State Security Network Agency also known as Amotekun, on Thursday, said that it has dismissed an officer for allegedly killing one person in Ibadan.
The new security outfit said that it has dismissed Kazeem Afolabi for allegedly killing Tosin Thomas, a 21-year old man in Ibadan.
DAILY POST gathered that Thomas was shot on Wednesday by Afolabi at Makola area of Ibadan.
Thomas sustained gunshot injuries, which led to his death.
The security outfit has however insisted that it has dismissed Afolabi for acting in contrary to the rules of engagement.
Commandant of Amotekun in Oyo State, Col. Olayinka Olayanju in a statement made available to DAILY POST on Thursday regretted the death of Thomas.
Olayanju added that the agency has its own internal mechanisms of dealing with erring staff.
He further stated that Afolabi has been handed over to the police.
He said, “At about 10 PM on Wednesday, January 13, 2021, Operatives of Amotekun, led by Team Leader George Idowu, got an alert of a purported armed robbery operation at Total Filling Station, Mokola, Ibadan.
“Following the distress call, the Team Leader and his team of seven members, arrived at the scene.
“On arrival at the scene of the alleged crime, it turned out that it was not an armed robbery operation, though a crowd had gathered.
“The Team Leader, sensing no immediate danger to anyone at the scene immediately proceeded to speak with the station manager. While he was with the manager, he heard a gunshot.
“As it turned out, one of his team members, by the name Afolabi Kazeem, who felt sufficiently threatened by the crowd, which included some hoodlums armed with cutlasses and other dangerous weapons, opened fire to supposedly scare away the crowd.
“Unfortunately, his shot hit one Mr Tosin Thomas, 23, who was subsequently confirmed dead. The Corps has found that Afolabi Kazeem with Ammunition Number AM031849 acted outside the Amotekun Corps’ protocols.
“For this reason, he has been summarily dismissed from the Corps and handed over to the police for prosecution. Also, his Team leader, George Mr. Idowu, is being thoroughly investigated and will face all necessary sanctions.
“We want to reassure members of the public of our internal mechanisms for dealing with erring officers. We will continue to train and retrain our officers on best practices and rules of engagement. The Corps deeply regrets the loss to the Thomas family, and we are already in touch with the family.”
- My machine just landed mehn! – Nigerian mum says as she cruises in her N35 million Tesla (Video)In Viral NewsJanuary 15, 2021A video is currently circulating online and it capture the moment a Nigerian mum was taking a ride in her newly acquired Tesla. Her son shared a ...[Read more]
- COVID-19: LASU shuts hostels as three students test positiveIn COVID-19, NewsJanuary 15, 2021
- Ohanaeze youths warns CAN against dabbling into politics, advises ObiozorIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021
- Lagos records 13 new COVID-19 related deathsIn COVID-19, NewsJanuary 15, 2021
- COVID-19: Obese persons have higher risk of complication – Expert warnsIn COVID-19, Health, NewsJanuary 15, 2021A gynaecologist, Dr Jen Gunter, has advised women against shaving their pubic hair. Gunter, who is author of The Vagina Bible, warned women against ...[Read more]
- FIRS staff union demands motivation for revenue generationIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021Members of the Nigeria Civil Service Union (NCSU), Federal Inland Revenue Service unit have urged the management of the agency to motivate its staff ...[Read more]
- Person fatally jumps from Upper East Side apartment buildingIn USAJanuary 15, 2021A person fatally jumped from a luxury apartment building on the Upper East Side early Friday, authorities said. The victim plunged from the ...[Read more]
- Bruno Fernandes breaks all-time Premier League recordIn Premier League, SportsJanuary 15, 2021Manchester United midfielder, Bruno Fernandes, has become the first player ever to clinch the Premier League Player of the Month award four times in ...[Read more]
- NPP MPs went to the chamber at 4am to prove they’re ‘very punctual’ – Afenyo MarkinIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 15, 2021The Deputy Leader of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) caucus in Parliament Afenyo Markin has said that his colleagues went to Parliament as early as 3am ...[Read more]
- PHOTO: See new looks of Dr Papa Kwesi Nduom of GN BankIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 15, 2021Dr. Papa Kwesi Nduom who is credited with Group Nduom and other companies in Ghana has for some time now been out of the public eye. The Man has ...[Read more]