Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano has said that his government will begin aggressive search for people with COVID-19 symptoms in communities across the state.
The governor stated this in a statewide broadcast he delivered on Friday night, saying that this became necessary as the lockdown in the state has been eased.
Obiano told citizens of the state that two testing centres have been approved for the state by NCDC, and that once the centres become operational, most citizens of the state will be tested for the pandemic.
The governor said: “I am delighted to announce that so far, we have conducted 72 tests, out of which one only returned positive, and that one was the index case who has been treated and discharged.
“So, at this moment, there is no active COVID-19 case in Anambra State. As a result of this, our next battle with COVID-19 is to mount an active search for people with COVID-19 symptoms in all communities in Anambra State.
“The NCDC, WHO and UNICEF have assured us of their support to ensure the success of this effort. So, I implore you to cooperate with our specially trained COVID-19 team when they visit your community by giving useful information that will help them to get the necessary samples for testing.”
Obiano assured the people not to panic, saying that it has been repeatedly proven that the pandemic is not a death sentence.
He added that the state has taken some careful steps to ease the state from lockdown, after five weeks on keeping everyone indoors.
While the state boundaries will remain closed, traders can return to the market, teachers to school (without pupils), and civil servants to their offices, all with the use of face masks.
He advised citizens to immediately bury their loved ones who died, with a view to holding elaborate ceremonies for them later, in order not to overstretch the health facilities in the state.
- COVID-19 lockdown: Imo Governor, Uzodinma succumbs to pressure, reopens markets
- Pesky poultry: Louisiana police search for ‘aggressive chicken’
- Delta relaxes curfew, reopens markets
- COVID-19: Anambra announces aggressive contact tracing
- COVID-19: Buhari govt begins house-to-house search for victims in Kano
- COVID-19: Abia govt approves new working hours for markets, issues new guidelines for wedding, schools, others
- COVID-19: Abia begins active case search in 17 LGAs
- Delta begins COVID-19 active case search in 6 LGAs
- Vigilante risks arrest over illegal cell operation in Anambra markets
- Abide by COVID-19 rules or we shut down livestock markets – Abia govt warns northerners