The President, Vision Africa International and the Co-Chair of the Interfaith Dialogue Forum for Peace (IDFP), Bishop Sunday Ndukwo Onuoha, has cautioned the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government against further borrowing from both international and national financial organisations in order not to mortgage the future of the country’s children.
He advised the government to desist from further borrowing in order not to put the future of Nigerians in danger.
Bishop Onuoha, a Global Peace Award Winner in 2013, while giving his advice observed that one of the old habits that the government should shun this year is continuous borrowings from foreign countries.
He noted that borrowing appears sweet but always hard to pay back.
According to him, “One thing about borrowing, is that while doing it, it appears enjoyable, but where the problem sets in is when you don’t have any hope of paying back or when you haven’t invested wisely with the borrowed money, hence problem may ensue at this point.”
The Methodist Bishop enjoined the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government not to mortgage the future of the younger generation who may be left to service these debts due to its gravity, saying that it would be unfair to punish them by constantly borrowing without investing wisely to their advantage.
He added, “Borrowing may not be a bad idea if you invest and deploy such loans judiciously, but in the Nigerian context, where there is recession, a lot may not be achieved in terms of pay back because those monies go into servicing of old debts without plans to invest.”
Bishop Onuoha advised the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration to invest in the youth who have the potential to unlock grey areas to the benefit of the entire country, pointing out that investing in them would take care of restiveness and all manner of agitations witnessed in the country in recent times.
He also called for massive investment in agriculture, arguing that before the advent of the oil boom, agriculture was the mainstay, sustaining the country and providing jobs for millions of Nigerians.
He called on the Federal Government to invest more in agriculture now that the price of oil is down globally.
- Your Election Is Proof That Democracy Is A Journey – GEJ To Biden, HarrisIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 22, 2021Like many other leaders, former President Goodluck Jonathan has congratulated the 46th President of the United States, Joe Biden, and the first ever ...[Read more]
- Real Madrid manager, Zidane tests positive for COVID-19In COVID-19, SportsJanuary 22, 2021Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, has wished Chelsea boss, Frank Lampard, the best over the Blues’ current struggles. Arteta insisted that he is taking ...[Read more]
- Sheikh Zakzaky’s wife, Zeenah may have contracted COVID-19, may die in prison – Shi’itesIn COVID-19, NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Islamic Movement in Nigeria, IMN, otherwise known as Shi’ites, has lamented the continued incarceration of its leader, Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky ...[Read more]
- “Don’t be offended when people you know don’t support your business” – Kiki OsinbajoIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021Beauty entreprenuer, Kiki Osinbajo has advised people not to take offence when friends don’t support their business. The Vice President’s ...[Read more]
- Kaduna government sacks 65 âillegally recruited teachersâIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Kaduna state government has confirmed the sack of 65 teachers who were “illegally” recruited. Kaduna State Universal Basic ...[Read more]
- Nigerian irregular migrants in Saudi Arabia to be evacuated on January 28 and 29 – Abike Dabiri-ErewaIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission NIDCOM, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, says Nigerian irregular migrants in Saudi Arabia, will be evacuated ...[Read more]
- Arsenal signs Mat Ryan ahead of FA Cup clash with SouthamptonIn SportsJanuary 22, 2021Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, has wished Chelsea boss, Frank Lampard, the best over the Blues’ current struggles. Arteta insisted that he is taking ...[Read more]
- “My only girlfriend who has my mumu button” – Peter Okoye celebrates daughter’s birthdayIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 22, 2021Popular singer, Peter Okoye aka Mr. P is celebrating the 8th birthday of his daughter, Aliona Amarachi Okoye today 22 January 2021. According to the ...[Read more]
- In the middle of the pandemic, Nigerian Government has its citizens queuing up to get their NIN numbers – Banky WIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021Singer, Banky W has lashed out at the Nigerian government for making citizens queue up to get the National Identification Number (NIN) in the ...[Read more]
- Biafra: Why South East is agitating for Nigeria’s breakup – Afenifere’s Ayo AdebanjoIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021Governor Ahmadu Fintiri of Adamawa State, the home state of the late former Inspector General of Police (IGP) Gambo Jimeta, has expressed grief over ...[Read more]