The Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, has insisted that in order to reduce the rate of death and injuries on the highways, there is a need on the part of the motoring public to exercise patience whenever they are driving.
It also advised all road users, whether drivers or motorcyclists to at all times comply with the prescribed speed limit as a way of ensuring safety on the road.
The Osun Sector Commander, Kudirat Ibrahim gave the advice in a chat with Newzandar News on the heels of the accidents that occurred on the Gbongan-Ibadan road, Osogbo last week.
Mrs. Ibrahim, while advocating for the application of ‘common sense’ speed limit when driving urged road users to always slow down considerably whenever they are approaching a town, market or U-turn because other road users and pedestrians also avail themselves of the roads.
“Since there are a lot of turns on the roads, there is the need to slow down on approach as this would also contribute in averting road traffic accidents and car crashes.
“Most of these crashes are caused by excessive speeding and wrongful overtaking on the part of motorists.
“The motoring public needs to work with the FRSC, federal and state governments to ensure that they don’t harm other people in the course of moving from one place to the other.”
While calling on the public to accept the fact that road safety is everybody’s business, the Osun FRSC Sector Commander explained that the Commission has personnel in township roads controlling traffic.
“We also go to the markets to discourage people from parking their cars on the road, but after we depart, they will disregard our directives.”
She also maintained that the road users ought to take personal responsibility because excessive speeding by vehicles may cause more harm to the people.
“There is no point in carrying out continuous reminders and the commission cannot do route lining from Gbongan to Osogbo. We are always sensitising on the need to reduce their speed limit and slow down to soothe the conditions of the roads because there are junctions and markets located on this stretch of road from Gbongan to Osogbo.
Newzandar News had reported last week accidents that occurred on the Gbongan-Ibadan road at Ogo-Oluwa where a woman roasting plantain was killed by the roadside and at Owode-Ede, where a man was seriously injured by an 18 seater bus.
Also, Newzandar News reported another incident where a Nissan Primera car heading towards Olaiya Junction was consumed totally by fire and also on Easter Monday, a near fatal accident involving an 18 seater bus was averted at Heritage Junction on the Gbongan-Ibadan road.
- VIDEO: The Pig Is Crying – Mona Gucci Subtly Shades Afia Schwar For Being Bitter Over Akuapem Poloo’s ReleaseIn EntertainmentApril 22, 2021‘Fake’ a*s lawyer Mona Gucci has shaded Afia Schwarzenegger and tagged her as a pig for being bitter over the release of Akuapem Poloo. Mona Gucci ...[Read more]
- Jealous Lady Allegedly Poisons Herself & Her Ex-Fiancee To Death A Week To His Wedding In Imo StateIn Nigeria NewsApril 22, 2021ADVERTISEMENT In a sad report, a lady who can be described as a jealous lady has reportedly killed her ex-fiancee who was supposed get married in a ...[Read more]
- AY Comedian Calls Out DSS For Ignoring A Criminal Case Against His FamilyIn Nigeria NewsApril 22, 2021ADVERTISEMENT AY Comedian in his post revealed that for the past 6 months, the DSS has ignored a petition he sent to their office about a criminal ...[Read more]
- PHOTOS: Convicted Showboy Flaunts A $10,000 Original Rolex Wristwatch To Mock Owner Of Fake Rolex Watch, MedikalIn EntertainmentApril 22, 2021Convicted Showboy has flaunted a $10,000 Rolex wristwatch and asked Medikal to focus on producing hit songs and leave the lavish lifestyle to him. ...[Read more]
- Nana Sarfo Oduro continues as Black Maidens ChairmanIn GhanaApril 22, 2021Advertisement Executive Council member Nana Sarfo Oduro will continue to serve as Chairman of the Black Maidens Management Committee. Nana Sarfo who ...[Read more]
- “Mama cut soap for us”- Reactions as singer, Omawumi shows off new looks in dazzling photosIn Celebrity NewsApril 22, 2021Popular songstress, Omawumi, also known as Omawonder blessed the eyes of her followers with some adorable photos which depicted her new looks. ...[Read more]
- Mercy Johnson, Destiny Etiko, Uche Ogbodo Others React As Chacha Eke Flaunts Baby BumpIn Nigeria NewsApril 22, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nollywood actress Chacha Eke has taken to her Instagram page to show off her grown baby bump in new photos. Chacha Eke has been in the ...[Read more]
- President Simeon- Okraku chairs Juvenile CommitteeIn GhanaApril 22, 2021Advertisement President of the Ghana Football Association Kurt Edwin Simeon-Okraku will continue as chairman of the Juvenile Committee for one more ...[Read more]
- PHOTOS: Sarkodie Flaunts Original Rolex Wristwatch After Medikal Was Busted For Flaunting A Fake OneIn EntertainmentApril 22, 2021Sarkodie is the man! For the first time, he has flaunted his original Rolex wristwatch in photos posted on his Instagram page. Sarkodie is dropping a ...[Read more]
- I Don’t Want To Get Married, Marriage Is A Fraud’ – OAP Moet AbebeIn Nigeria NewsApril 22, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Taking to her Instagram story, Moet Abebe in an question and answer session with her fans revealed that she does not want to settle ...[Read more]