A Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered the 2019 presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, and his Campaign Director, Dr Bukola Saraki, to pay N5million in damages to a Lagos trader, Amuda Adeleke, for unauthorised use of her photo on their campaign billboard.
Atiku orders to pay trader N5million for using her photo for advert
In a suit marked FHC/L/CS/19, Adeleke had told the court that the defendants used her photograph on their campaign billboard without her consent.
Justice Ayokunle Faji, however awarded N5 million to the trader, to be jointly paid by Atiku, Saraki, the PDP and Peter Obi, who was Atiku’s running mate in the poll, The Nation reports.
The trader said this caused her embarrassment and she prayed the court to award N45m against the defendants for infringing on her fundamental right to privacy as enshrined, in the 1999 Constitution.
But after entering judgment in her favour, Justice Faji awarded N5m against the defendants.
In the suit, Adeleke explained that in December 2018, during the build-up to the 2019 general elections, agents of the Atiku Abubakar Campaign Organisation, led by Saraki, came to Oyin Jolayemi Street, Victoria Island, Lagos to campaign for Atiku and his running mate, Obi.
She said Saraki and his team engaged people on the street, including herself.
Adeleke said she saw members of the campaign train taking photographs during the engagement with the crowd and she thought it was merely to preserve the memory of the event.
- Atiku orders to pay trader N5million for using her photo for advert
- Unauthorised Use Of Picture On Campaign Billboard: Court Orders Atiku, Saraki To Pay N5m Damages To Trader
- Wilfred Ndidi Loses His Cool As He Calls Out DSTV For Using His Photo As For An Advert Without His Consent
- Trader crushed to death in Lagos by 16-year-old who was using his mum’s car to test his driving skills (photo)
- Footballer, Ndidi Wilfred calls out DSTV for using his picture as advert without his consent
- Mompha sues EFCC for N5million over fresh arrest
- Wawu! Man Forges Medical Report To Break Up With Girlfriend Who Demanded N5Million For Wedding
- ‘35 parties endorsed Obaseki in exchange for N5million each’
- BBNaija: Ogun State Governor, Appoints Laycon As Youth Ambassador, Gives Him N5million And A Three-bedroom House