Atletico Madrid manager, Diego Simeone has been named Coach of the Decade despite winning just one league title.
The Argentine saw off competition from the likes of Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho to be declared Coach of the Decade by the International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS), which unveiled the 20 best head coaches in club football.
Simeone (152 points) pipped Pep Guardiola (144 points) to the award, with Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp third on 105 points.
In a statement, the IFFHS noted: ‘Simeone realised a great performance with his club Atletico Madrid in this decade: 1 LaLiga title, 1 Copa del Rey, 1 Super Copa Espana, 2 UEFA Europa League titles, 2 UEFA Super Cup titles and 2 times Runner-Up in UEFA Champions League Finals.
‘His regularity and his power made the difference to win the Award of the Decade 2011-2020.’
Atletico currently have a four-point lead at the top, with 41 points from 16 games played, and have only lost once so far this campaign. Real Madrid sits in second on 37 points, with two games in hand.
- Elderly NYC couple gets COVID-19 vaccine after plea to de BlasioIn USAJanuary 15, 2021They finally got their shot. An 89-year-old Manhattan woman who made a heartbreaking public plea to Mayor Bill de Blasio last week to get the ...[Read more]
- 1867 new cases of COVID-19 recorded in NigeriaIn NewsJanuary 15, 20211867 new cases of COVID-19 were recorded in Nigeria on Friday, January 15, 2021. According to the Nigeria Center for Disease Control NCDC, Lagos ...[Read more]
- Off-duty NYPD cop who shot wife’s trainer had history of misconduct, suit claimsIn USAJanuary 15, 2021The trainer who was allegedly shot by off-duty NYPD Sergeant Justin Ellis has sued him and the NYPD claiming the cop had a history of misconduct, new ...[Read more]
- Crash with police car sends SUV careening into Long Island homeIn USAJanuary 15, 2021A police car crash sent an SUV careening into a Long Island house — setting both on fire, police said. The SUV collided with the Suffolk County ...[Read more]
- Cuomo: De Blasio, NYPD owe New Yorkers apology over handling of protestsIn USAJanuary 15, 2021Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Mayor Bill de Blasio and the city’s police officials need to apologize to New Yorkers over charges they violated the civil ...[Read more]
- Gospel singer, Duranice Pace of ‘Anointed Pace Sisters’ dies at 62In NewsJanuary 15, 2021American gospel singer and evangelist, Duranice Pace, who was part of the gospel group the “Anointed Pace Sisters” has died. She was 62. ...[Read more]
- Capitol rioter from upstate NY smoked ‘victory’ cigar during siege, feds sayIn USAJanuary 15, 2021A reported former US Marine from upstate New York fired up a “victory” cigar after breaking into the US Capitol last week — and was part of a ...[Read more]
- Why rich people are more likely to socially distanceIn LifestyleJanuary 15, 2021Thanks to better health care access, job stability and a cushy home, the wealthy are socially distancing at higher rates than low-income households. ...[Read more]
- Smart collar translates dog barks into emotions, startup company saysIn LifestyleJanuary 15, 2021Now you can find out what your dog is saying when it barks — or at least, you’ll know how it’s feeling. South Korean startup Petpuls ...[Read more]
- Wayne LaPierre says NRA is leaving ‘toxic’ New York, heading to TexasIn USAJanuary 15, 2021The National Rifle Association is shotgun-divorcing New York and hightailing it to Texas, its CEO announced Friday. The gun lobby is “breaking free ...[Read more]