The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has said that one person has been confirmed dead in a head-on collision between two vehicles which occurred along Onitsha-Nteje Expressway in Anambra State on Saturday.
The Sector Commander of FRSC in Anambra, Mr Andrew Kumapayi, while confirming the incident to newsmen in Awka, said the body of the deceased, a man, had been deposited at Wisdom Funeral Mortuary, Nteje.
Kumapayi said the accident which occurred at about 2 am could be attributed to ”speed and wrongful overtaking.”
He said, “The fatal crash involved a Lexus SUV with registration number-GGE339FU, whose driver lost his life in the crash and a Mercedes-Benz 911 with registration number – XA588ENU.
“The driver of the Lexus SUV tried overtaking but unfortunately had a head-on collision with the Mercedes-Benz 911, which was unable to give way.
“The dead victim has been taken to Wisdom Funeral Mortuary, Nteje while officers of the FRSC and Nigerian Police Force are on ground controlling traffic and clearing of obstruction caused by the crash.
”The vehicle has been towed to the police station for further investigation.”
Kumpayi urged road users and motorists to adhere to government’s directives prohibiting night travels from 8 pm. to 6 am, especially during the period of COVID-19 pandemic.
He also condoled with family of the dead, adding that drivers should drive with care and desist from speeding, wrongful overtaking and all forms of dangerous driving that could lead to road crashes and avoidable deaths, Newzandar News reports.
- One dead, four injured in auto crash on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway
- Christmas: Over-speeding kills man on Enugu-Onitsha expressway
- Two dead, six injured Onitsha auto crash
- Auto crash claims 2 lives in Onitsha
- Two die in auto crash along Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- Three burnt to death in Lagos -Ibadan expressway auto crash
- Six die, nine injured in auto crash along Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- Four die, 43 injured in auto crash along Oyo-Ogbomoso expressway
- Two die in auto crash along Ilesa-Ile-Ife expressway in Osun
- Auto crash kill two on Abeokuta-Sagamu expressway