Baba Ijesha, real name James Olanrewaju faces a possible life imprisonment for the alleged sexual assault he was arrested for.
On April 22, Lagos State Police Command said the Nollywood actor was in detention for allegedly defiling a minor
Police spokesman, Muyuwa Adejobi said the case was reported on April 19 by Princess Adekola Adekanya at Sabo Police Station.
The Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu ordered the transfer of the matter to the Gender Unit of the State CID, Panti, Yaba, Lagos for investigation.
Baba Ijesha, 48, allegedly first assaulted the victim when she was 7 years old. The girl is now aged 14.
On Tuesday, the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice Moyosore Onigbanjo provided an update on the case.
Onigbanjo said the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) issued legal advice that a prima facie case has been disclosed against Olarenwaju.
The advice recommended that the actor should be charged under the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
Baba Ijesha will face five charges. He will be tried under section 135 – indecent treatment of a child – punishable by seven years imprisonment; section 137 – defilement of a child – punishable by life imprisonment.
Others section 261 – sexual assault by penetration – punishable by life imprisonment; section 262 – attempted sexual assault by penetration – punishable by 14 years imprisonment, and section 263 – sexual assault – punishable by three years imprisonment.
“While the state would ensure James’ rights as enshrined in the constitution are upheld, the Ministry of Justice would not relent in its efforts at ensuring that whoever sexually abuses any resident of Lagos is speedily brought to book”, Onigbanjo noted.
- Why I Quit ‘The Johnsons’ – Spiff Finally Speaks OutIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT The Johnson is a long-running program that has been aired on Africa Magic since 2012. Some actors in the series include Charles Inojie ...[Read more]
- Here’s An Alleged Reason Why Desmond Elliot Is Being Dragged OnlineIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Desmond Elliot has been trending on social media platforms with people blaming for one thing or the other. Desmond Elliot used to be ...[Read more]
- President Buhari’s Former Minister ‘Mama Taraba’ Is DeadIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Former Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Aisha-Jummai Alhassan fondly called Mama Taraba is dead. She died at 61 in ...[Read more]
- Davido Allegedly Buys Range Rover For His 1-Year Old Son, IfeanyiIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Popular Nigerian artist and songwriter Davido has allegedly bought a brand new range for his 1-year old son Ifeanyi a few days after he ...[Read more]
- Please You Are Not Well – Omotola Jalade Reacts After Man Drew A Portrait Of HerIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nollywood actress and movie producer Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde has reacted sarcastically to a portrait a man drew of her. One of the ...[Read more]
- Here’s the trail of death and destruction allegedly left by members of NYC’s ‘Hoolies’ gangIn USAMay 8, 2021This week’s indictment of 18 reputed gang members not only solved the infamous slaying of a 1-year-old Brooklyn boy, it nailed those responsible for ...[Read more]
- Charter school backer starts PAC to boost Eric Adams’ bid for mayorIn USAMay 8, 2021A major charter school backer is launching a Super PAC to help elect Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams the next mayor of New York City. Jenny ...[Read more]
- NYC family says 12-year-old’s ‘suspicious’ death happened after school attack over $1In USAMay 7, 2021Romy Vilsaint died after losing consciousness at his Flatbush on May 7, 2021. HANDOUT PHOTO/Roodwiny Exantus Police are investigating the death of a ...[Read more]
- Cops say death of 12-year-old NYC boy is ‘suspicious’In USAMay 7, 2021Police are investigating a 12-year-old Brooklyn boy’s death as suspicious. Emergency responders were called to 2920 Cortelyou Road in Flatbush Friday ...[Read more]
- Manhattan Judge says NYC federal lockups are ‘run by morons’In USAMay 7, 2021A senior judge in New York blasted the conditions of two notorious federal jails in the city during a recent sentencing hearing — saying they are run ...[Read more]