The Benue State government has shut down a secondary school in the state, Vaatia College in Makurdi, the state capital following the outbreak of a strange illness that has left nine students with mild paresis.
The Commissioner for Health and Human Services, Joseph Ngbea, who confirmed the outbreak of the ailment, said some of the patients have been discharged while few others are still hospitalized.
“The report of the unknown disease got to me through my Director of Public Health and we went to the Teaching Hospital where three of the students were on admission and what we saw, there was no paralysis. What we saw was Paresis – weakness of the limbs.
Many of them were walking with a wobbling gait. We looked at the possible causes because this country is almost certified free of Poliomyelitis.
So, when we got there, it was confirmed that it was not Poliomyelitis. What we are looking at is ‘Golemba Syndrome’. It is a weakness that starts from the limbs upwards” he said
When asked what is the likely cause, the Commissioner said the causes are multi-factorial and can be as a result of bacterial, fungal, or viral infection.
- Chelsea vs Man Utd: I tried to sign Bruno Fernandes – TuchelIn SportsFebruary 28, 2021Chelsea boss, Thomas Tuchel, has named a new position Kai Havertz will feature importantly in his squad this season. Tuchel also insisted that ...[Read more]
- Bayern Munich angry after Golden Eaglets thrashed their academy 5-1In SportsFebruary 28, 2021Chelsea boss, Thomas Tuchel, has named a new position Kai Havertz will feature importantly in his squad this season. Tuchel also insisted that ...[Read more]
- Reactions as Davido allegedly found new lover, dumps ChiomaIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentFebruary 28, 2021The news that Nigerian singer, Davido, has found a new lover has stirred a lot of reactions from Nigerians on social media. The Nigerian singer in a ...[Read more]
- Chioma allegedly clashes with Davido over his visit to Sophia Momodu’s house to see ImadeIn Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Recent reports have alleged that Chioma has been engaging in fights with her fiance, Davido, whenever he wants to see his daughter, Imade. Blogger, ...[Read more]
- Man stabbed to death outside NYC gambling den was tragic good samaritan: NYPDIn USAFebruary 28, 2021The man fatally stabbed outside an alleged Brooklyn gambling den was an innocent bystander who was trying to break up a knife fight, police said. ...[Read more]
- Chioma breaks down in tears following Davido’s entanglement with model, Mya YafaiIn Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Davido’s fiancee, Chioma Avril Roland is allegedly in tears following her lover’s entanglement with Atlanta based model, Mya Yafai. According to ...[Read more]
- My support for Kumerican Movement unquestionable – Okyeame KwameIn Entertainment, GhanaFebruary 28, 2021Legendary Hiplife artiste and ‘Yeeko’ hitmaker, Okyeame Kwame born Kwame Nsiah-Apau has revealed to Amansan Krakye on Kastle FM monitored by ...[Read more]
- Implement creative arts bill immediately – MUSIGA to new MinisterIn Entertainment, GhanaFebruary 28, 2021The Acting President of the Musicians Union of Ghana (MUSIGA) Bessa Simons has lauded the tourism, culture and creative arts Minister-designate, ...[Read more]
- Retract, apologize, resign! – Prof Azar to Judicial Service officials who authorized media releaseIn Ghana, NewsFebruary 28, 2021Legal luminary and relentless public intellectual, Professor Stephen Kwaku Asare fondly referred to as Kwaku Azar has called on persons behind the ...[Read more]
- How Davido and Mya Yafai hooked up and spent time together in Ghana (Screenshots)In Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Recent reports have it that Nigerian singer, Davido and Young Ma’s ex girlfriend, Mya Yafai were together in Ghana last year December. Recall Davido ...[Read more]