US President-elect, Joe Biden has urged the Senate to conduct the impeachment trial of US President Donald Trump while simultaneously working on other critical issues affecting the country, an acknowledgement by the incoming leader that issues about Trump might take up his legislative agenda when he takes office.
The House voted 232 to 197 on Wednesday to impeach Trump, with 10 GOP lawmakers joining all Democrats to impeach Trump for “incitement of insurrection” exactly one week after rioters stormed the US Capitol as the House certified Biden’s election victory.
Marking the first time a president has been impeached twice, the process now advances to the Senate, which will conduct a trial.
In a statement Wednesday night, January 13, Biden said that the House’s vote “to impeach and hold the president accountable” was “a bipartisan vote cast by members who followed the Constitution and their conscience,” but he wants to hit the ground running on a broad spectrum of economic and public health initiatives when he takes office next week.
He said the Senate needs to be able to follow through on Trump’s impeachment trial while working on his agenda at the same time.
“This nation also remains in the grip of a deadly virus and a reeling economy,” Biden continued.
“I hope that the Senate leadership will find a way to deal with their Constitutional responsibilities on impeachment while also working on the other urgent business of this nation.”
According to reports Biden and his team are working behind the scenes with Senate Democrats and House impeachment managers to keep the impeachment trial as swift as possible.
At least four confirmation hearings for Biden’s Cabinet nominees are already scheduled for the week of January 20 (inauguration week and impeachment trial week), including Secretary of State nominee Antony Blinken, Defense Secretary nominee Lloyd Austin, Treasury Secretary nominee Janet Yellen and Secretary of Homeland Security nominee Alejandro Mayorkas.
Biden also wants Senators to draft legislation having to do with the pandemic or economic relief, as Biden wants to increase relief checks to $2,000.
Biden’s announcement comes as Senate leader Mitch McConnell stated on Wednesday that he has no plans to rush Trump’s impeachment trial befofe 1pm on the 20th of January by which time Biden would have been inaugurated.
If that timetable is to be followed it means Trump will be allowed to finish his term before an impeachment trial begins.
- COVID-19: LASU shuts hostels as three students test positiveIn COVID-19, NewsJanuary 15, 2021
- Ohanaeze youths warns CAN against dabbling into politics, advises ObiozorIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021
- Lagos records 13 new COVID-19 related deathsIn COVID-19, NewsJanuary 15, 2021
- COVID-19: Obese persons have higher risk of complication – Expert warnsIn COVID-19, Health, NewsJanuary 15, 2021A gynaecologist, Dr Jen Gunter, has advised women against shaving their pubic hair. Gunter, who is author of The Vagina Bible, warned women against ...[Read more]
- FIRS staff union demands motivation for revenue generationIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021Members of the Nigeria Civil Service Union (NCSU), Federal Inland Revenue Service unit have urged the management of the agency to motivate its staff ...[Read more]
- Person fatally jumps from Upper East Side apartment buildingIn USAJanuary 15, 2021A person fatally jumped from a luxury apartment building on the Upper East Side early Friday, authorities said. The victim plunged from the ...[Read more]
- Bruno Fernandes breaks all-time Premier League recordIn Premier League, SportsJanuary 15, 2021Manchester United midfielder, Bruno Fernandes, has become the first player ever to clinch the Premier League Player of the Month award four times in ...[Read more]
- NPP MPs went to the chamber at 4am to prove they’re ‘very punctual’ – Afenyo MarkinIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 15, 2021The Deputy Leader of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) caucus in Parliament Afenyo Markin has said that his colleagues went to Parliament as early as 3am ...[Read more]
- PHOTO: See new looks of Dr Papa Kwesi Nduom of GN BankIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 15, 2021Dr. Papa Kwesi Nduom who is credited with Group Nduom and other companies in Ghana has for some time now been out of the public eye. The Man has ...[Read more]
- Our MP is not an Ivorian – Jomoro NDC responds to dual citizen claimsIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 15, 2021The National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the Jomoro Constituency has rubbished the malicious publications that its Member of Parliament (MP) Dorcas ...[Read more]