There was no question that Patriots coach Bill Belichick’s dog, Nike, stole the 2022 NFL Draft show –—and now the pooch is booming on social media.
On ESPN’s “The Adam Schefter Podcast” this week, Belichick’s girlfriend, Linda Holliday, said that her dog’s viral moment during the NFL Draft brought in a heap of new followers to an Instagram account she had created for the pup.
“Well, the funny thing was, you know, all of us our are doing the draft from home. And Nantucket has very strict rules about who is coming to the island,” Holliday said. “So, I worked with Patriots IT people and said, ‘Teach me, I’ll do lighting, I’ll do IT, I’ll do it all. So, I’m doing lighting and next thing I know Bill had a couple of treats that were left over near his laptop and he stepped away from the table.
“And all of a sudden he looks and he goes, ‘Look, look at the table’ and there Nike was just sitting there waiting patiently and he knew his treats were there, so that’s what prompted him getting up to the table and he was just waiting patiently for the word to take his treats.”
Nike’s followers grew from a couple hundred to more than 16,000 as of Wednesday morning after he was caught on camera at Belichick’s seat just seconds before the Patriots made their second-round selection on Friday night. Nike decided that drafting Kyle Dugger was the right choice with the 37th pick.
Holliday said her phone began blowing up within minutes.
“Nike went from 1,000 followers to about 10,000 followers,” she said. “And my phone was just blowing up.”
The account’s most recent post is a hand drawing of Nike from his cameo on draft night, which was created and sent by a fan.
- Top NFL Draft picks react to their Madden NFL 16 ratings
- Bill Burr Accepted a Cameo in ‘The Mandalorian’ Just to Troll His Fans
- What re-draft of historic 2010 MLB Draft might look like now
- Why Redskins’ Thaddeus Moss snubbed Patriots after NFL Draft
- NFL draft hopeful Azeez Ojulari is descended from Nigerian royalty
- Meet the gorgeous WAGs of the 2022 NFL draft
- Nick Saban: Giants got NFL draft steal in Xavier McKinney
- NFL to consider draft incentives for diversity coaching, GM hires
- The Justin Herbert NFL Draft worries are playing out on ‘Hard Knocks’
- Jets’ Quinnen Williams is ready to fulfill massive NFL Draft hype