Food vendors and traders in Borno and Yobe States have lamented the high cost of food items.
They stated that rather than reducing food price, the reopening of borders has escalated prices.
Others added that aside the border reopening, activities of kidnappers and Boko Haram, as well as the resurgence of the Covid-19 pandemic also affected the price of food in the two States.
According to traders and food vendors who spoke to DAILY POST correspondent, they observed that, although the whole country is facing hike in the prices of food, the northern part is facing more difficulties.
Alhaji Baba Shanga, a business mogul and transporter in Yobe State told our correspondent that the activities of kidnappers in the north west had contributed immensely to the shortage of food stuff in the country, especially in the North.
He said most of the people did not also have the opportunity of farming due to the activities of kidnappers and terrorists.
Also, Abubakar Idi Damaturu, a farmer said, “Only God knows what is happening this year, we are battling with coronavirus pandemic, kidnappers, activities of Boko Haram/Islamic State For West African Province and now shortage of food stuff.”
“If the federal and the state governments didn’t take concrete measures to address this matter, many people will die as a result of hunger, because people don’t have money to purchase the commodities,” he added.
He, however, commended the effort of the Nigerian military for carrying out aggressive operations to finally decimate the remnants of the Boko Haram/Islamic State For West African Province and kidnappers.
Observation in the markets across the two States, however, shows that a bag of millet sold at N20,000, instead of N15,000, Guinea corn now N17,000, instead of N13,000. White beans now sold for N29,000, while red beans is N30,000, instead of N23,000. Groundnut now sold for N30,000, instead of N25, 000 and a bag of maize now sold at N18,000, instead of N14,000 it sold two weeks ago.
- Shatta Wale reacts to reports that he’s sacked BulldogIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Dancehall artiste Shatta Wale has denied reports suggesting that he has sacked his Manager Bulldog. There were reports suggesting that the biggest ...[Read more]
- Young genius makes electronic toy car out of fruit drink box and straw (Video)In GossipJanuary 27, 2021A talented young boy has become the star attraction online after a video surfaced of his innovative creation. The little lad has made an electronic ...[Read more]
- Nollywood actor, Ernest Asuzu is deadIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Nigerian Instagram comedian, Debo Adebayo, popularly known as Mr Macaroni has taken a swipe on the Buhari-led administration over its handling of the ...[Read more]
- Policewoman sacked for getting pregnant before marriageIn GossipJanuary 27, 2021A female officer of the Nigeria Police Force has been dismissed for getting pregnant before marriage. The lady identified as Corporal Olajide Omolola ...[Read more]
- Woman pours hot water on her co-wife and 4-year-old stepdaughter in KanoIn NewsJanuary 27, 2021Sha’awanatu Muhmmad The Kano State Police Command has arrested a 30-year-old woman, Hauwa Auwal, who allegedly poured hot water on her husband’s ...[Read more]
- Osun police identify one of the DSS operatives allegedly involved in killing of policemanIn NewsJanuary 27, 2021One of the Department of State Services operatives who is allegedly involved in the killing of a policeman in Osun state, has been ...[Read more]
- If you fall under anointing and break anything, you will pay – Pastor warns church members (Video)In GossipJanuary 27, 2021A Nigerian pastor has issued a warning to his church members who are fond of falling under the anointing and breaking church properties. In a ...[Read more]
- Reduction on imported vehicles duties to begin next week – CustomsIn NewsJanuary 27, 2021The Nigeria Customs Service on Tuesday January 26, announced that a slash on imported vehicles duties will begin next week. ...[Read more]
- Nigerian woman expresses regret after finding out the baby she abandoned at age 2 is now a kingIn GossipJanuary 27, 2021A woman simply known as Ngozi has cried out in regret for treating her husband unfairly and abandoning her baby many years ago. She revealed that she ...[Read more]
- “She is a just friend” – Ned Nwoko clears the air on affair with Zambian mistressIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 27, 2021Popular politician, Ned Nwoko has cleared the air on his move to marry an eighth wife, after an alleged affair with a Zambian, Phyllis Thompson. It ...[Read more]