Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has been arrested.
Gistlover understands that Kanu has been extradited to Nigeria to face trial.
The details were still sketchy at the time of writing, with no information of when and where he was arrested.
Emma Powerful, IPOB spokesman, denied the news of the arrest while Frank Mba, police spokesman, is yet to respond to enquiry on whether the police was involved in the development.
Kanu is facing charges bordering on treasonable felony instituted against him at the federal high court in Abuja in response to years of campaign for the independent Republic of Biafra through IPOB.
He was granted bail in April 2017 for health reasons but skipped bail after flouting some of the conditions given to him by the court.
He has been on the run since then after soldiers raided his father’s residence in Abia state.
IPOB was later declared a terrorist group by the defence headquarters and court after the south-east governors proscribed it.
Despite the court’s insistence on his appearance, the IPOB leader has remained abroad, and once said he jumped bail to pursue the cause of Biafra.
“Their problem is Nnamdi Kanu and the solution to their problem is referendum. They gave me conditional bail to cage me and IPOB but I refused,” he had said during a broadcast.
Owing to his absence in court, Binta Nyako, the judge who granted him bail, revoked it and ordered that he should be arrested.
Kanu, however, dismissed the arrest warrant issued against him and vowed to remain abroad to continue agitating for Biafra.
“The bench warrant against me is merely academic. It will surely be ignored by an international legal and diplomatic order that has voiced its disapproval of what is happening to IPOB in Nigeria,” he had said in one of his broadcasts.
In Kanu’s absence, IPOB went underground and mobilised resources to launch a militant named the Eastern Security Network (ESN).
The emergence of ESN coincided with a spike in attacks against security and government infrastructure in the south-east.
The secessionist group also forged an alliance with the Ambazonia Governing Council (AGovC), the separatist movement in Southern Cameroon, to exchange weapons and personnel.
- BREAKING: How IPOB Leader, Nnamdi Kanu Was Arrested In Kenya, Unlawfully Extradited To Nigeria—Family
- IPOB Leader, Nnamdi Kanu arrested in UK, extradited to Nigeria
- Take Note Nnamdi Kanu Was Not Arrested Or Extradited By UK Government – Reno Omokri Reveals
- Nnamdi Kanu Was Arrested In Kenya – Nnamdi Kanu’s Sibling Reveals
- Nnamdi Kanu orders IPOB to Kill security agents as Ohanaeze begs IPOB to resist taking up arms
- Nnamdi Kanu does not speak for the Igbo Nation, Joe Igbokwe blast Nnamdi Kanu
- BREAKING!!! IPOB Leader Mazi Nnamdi Kanu Declares War In Nigeria, Orders Biafrans To Kill Every Policeman, Army Officer (+Audio)
- EXCLUSIVE: How IPOB Leader, Nnamdi Kanu Was Arrested By Nigerian Government
- I Was Very Happy When Nnamdi Kanu Was Arrested – El-Rufai Speaks On Arrest Of IPOB Leader
- Breaking: FG Arrests IPOB Leader, ‘Nnamdi Kanu’