Nigerian Police have detained Nastura Ashir Sharif, over the massive Katsina protest against President Muhammadu Buhari.
On Tuesday, Sharif, a leader of the Coalition of Northern Groups (CNG), led a peaceful demonstration in the State over bandits attacks and killings.
CNG, in a statement on its Facebook page, said Sharif was arrested and taken to Abuja after the protests.
It said the CNG Board of Trustees chairman “is currently being detained at the Nigeria Police Force HQ, Abuja. He is against the killing of helpless citizens by bandits”.
Sources say Sharif was taken from Katsina to Abuja by the State Commissioner of Police.
He said the Police boss told the youth leader “that the Inspector General wanted to see him in Abuja and they went together”.
“After reaching Abuja they detained him in their headquarters”, he revealed.
The protesters had told Buhari and Governor Bello Masari to resign.
One of those recalled how bandits ambushed his friend and wanted to rape the wife.
“Both of them resisted and were killed”, he decried.
Interestingly, Masari apologized for the killings, admitting that he has failed to protect the people.
Earlier, the CNG, in a strong-worded statement lambasted the Buhari administration over its response to the alarm on insecurity raised by the Northern Elders Forum (NEF).
Responding, the presidency told CNG to be “thank their stars” that Nigeria was in democracy.
The comment drew widespread condemnation.
Massive protest held in @MBuhari home state over insecurity in the State.For the first time, His own people urged him to resign over failure to protect the lives of innocent people.@BBCAfrica@CNNAfrica @AJEnglish @channelstv @KadariaAhmed @BashirAhmaad @ogundamisi @adeyanjudeji pic.twitter.com/Qwh6ORZ2lK
— Jamil Mabai (@jaymb000) June 16, 2022
- Katsina protest: CNG chairman, Nastura Ashir Sharif regains freedom from detention
- Katsina protest: Niger Delta group calls for immediate release of Arewa youth leader, Nastura Ashir Sharif
- Katsina Protest: CSO condemns arrest of Sharif, demands immediate release
- CNG warns governors against deporting Almajiris
- Police detain leader of Coalition of Northern Groups after protest against bandits in Katsina
- CNG laments detention of Chairman, Nastura Ashir Shariff by Police IG
- Armed thugs disrupt peace summit in Kaduna – CNG confirms
- Asaba Declaration On Open Grazing Exposed North’s Failed Leadership – CNG
- Southern Kaduna Crisis: CNG, Southern Kaduna stakeholders seek ways for peaceful coexistence
- JUST IN: Police release leader of Katsina protest