The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control in Nigeria, NAFDAC, has approved the use of Oxford/AstraZeneca COVID19 vaccine for use in Nigeria.
At a press conference held this morning February 18, the Director-General of NAFDAC, Professor Mojisola Adeyeye, says the agency got the dossier of the vaccine a week ago, and the NAFDAC safety committee went to work immediately to evaluate its safety and efficacy for Nigerians.
Adeyeye said that the vaccine can be stored at 2 to 8-degree centigrade. According to the DG, there are three additional vaccines undergoing evaluation, but the evaluation on Astrazeneca shows that the vaccine is effective against the UK variant of the virus which has been reported in Nigeria. She disclosed that the South African variant has not been reported in Nigeria and that the agency has over 30 herbal medicine undergoing review for listing.
The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, also known as ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, or AZD1222, is a viral vector vaccine. Scientists used an adenovirus, originally derived from chimpanzees, and modified it with the aim of training the immune system to mount a strong response against SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19).
Nigeria is expected to get the first batch of the COVID19 vaccines by the end of February.
- Davido finally speaks amid cheating allegationsIn Entertainment, GossipMarch 1, 2021Award-winning Nigerian singer, David ”Davido” Adeleke, has broken silence amid allegations that that he is cheating on his fiancée, Chioma with ...[Read more]
- How National Investigations Bureau threatened a journalist to drop ‘serious’ election year story against SOEIn Ghana, NewsMarch 1, 2021An officer of the National Investigations Bureau (NIB) formerly the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) last year (2020) allegedly placed a phone ...[Read more]
- Fulham’s Tosin Adarabioyo makes choice between Nigeria, EnglandIn SportsMarch 1, 2021Manchester United legend, Paul Scholes, has disagreed with Chelsea manager, Thomas Tuchel’s comments following both sides’ Premier League 0-0 draw. ...[Read more]
- Graphic Video: Rival Tamale gangs clash in sharp cutlass fight over real ownership of ‘K2’ gang nameIn Ghana, NewsMarch 1, 2021A renewed bitter rivalry between two notorious gangs in the northern regional capital, Tamale, has led to at least 10 members with cutlass injuries. ...[Read more]
- Free speech in Ghana has been under constant attack since Akufo-Addo won 2016 election – Manasseh AzureIn Ghana, NewsMarch 1, 2021Investigative journalist Manasseh Azure Awuni has said Ghana’s press freedom has been under attack since 2017 when Nana Akufo-Addo became President ...[Read more]
- Chelsea vs Man United: Paul Scholes disagrees with Tuchel’s comments after EPL 0-0 drawIn SportsMarch 1, 2021Manchester United legend, Paul Scholes, has disagreed with Chelsea manager, Thomas Tuchel’s comments following both sides’ Premier League 0-0 draw. ...[Read more]
- How Akufo-Addo rejected US$2Billion 2017 loan facility from International Gay lobby revealedIn Ghana, NewsMarch 1, 2021The Bono Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party has detailed how Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo rejected a 2 billion dollars offer from the LGBTQI ...[Read more]
- COVID-19 vaccines won’t make you impotent, infertile – Akufo-Addo allays fearsIn Ghana, NewsMarch 1, 2021President of Ghana Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has given a strong indication that the vaccine for the COVID-19 is safe and do not cause impotence in ...[Read more]
- Davido’s 4th baby mama shares pregnancy journey, how she gave birth in the room (Video)In Celebrity NewsMarch 1, 2021Larissa London, alleged 4th baby mama of popular Afrobeat singer, Davido Adeleke has shared her strenuous pregnancy journey. According to the young ...[Read more]
- Stingy Shatta Wale exposed for not paying producer of 10 songs on Reign AlbumIn Ghana, NewsMarch 1, 2021In recent times, Shatta Wale has claimed to be the richest music talent in Ghana. He has succeeded in making Ghanaians feel like when money talks, it ...[Read more]