There is palpable tension in Kano as the local government election in the state, scheduled for Saturday, looms.
The Chairman, State Independent Electoral Commission KANSAIC, Professor Ibrahim Garba Sheka, had worried that elections in the state was like a war, with chaos and uncertainty trailing it.
It is on record that hundreds of Kano citizens lost their lives, following violent conducts of 2007 local government elections, during the Ibrahim Shekarau government, which eventually saw the ruling APP then winning all the 44 local governments of the state.
Sheka made the assertions at the opening of a one-day training for Civil Society Election Observers of 2021 Local Government Elections in the state yesterday.
He said, ”Election in Kano State requires adequate security because it always looks like the entire world is coming to an end.”
He said he witnessed elections in Kogi, Gombe and Borno states where they were conducted peacefully and people moved around as if there was no poll taking place.
Sheka added that “but in Kano, elections are always rowdy.
The Chairman, however, said that part of the preparation for the Saturday’s election was praying to Almighty God to make the exercise peaceful and violence-free.
He said election materials, both sensitive and non-sensitive, were ready, adding that the non-sensitive ones are already being distributed to various local government areas.
He added that the election body had delayed distribution of sensitive materials till Friday, adding that adequate security had been provided to accompany the materials to various destinations.
He further said all security agencies had promised to give maximum cooperation during the exercise, disclosing that the AIG Zone One had pledged to deploy additional Police officers to provide security during the exercise.
In the same vein, Professor Garba Ibrahim Sheka, showed his excitement at the withdrawal of Kwankwasiyya PDP faction from the local government elections, saying they have now had a genuine faction contesting, promising to award results to them if they win.
He said, “initially we were confused as to who was the genuine PDP faction, this is because both the Kwankwasiyya and the Ambassador Aminu Wali faction submitted their papers all genuinely signed by one person from Abuja as the authentic factions”.
- Bandits attack Dutsin Gari, Rayau communities in Zamfara, scores killedIn Local NewsJanuary 19, 2021A herb dealer, Rofiat Biliameen, has petitioned a Mapo Customary Court in Ibadan to dissolve her two and a half-year-old marriage to estranged ...[Read more]
- “I Wish I Was Dead” – American Rapper Bianca Bonnie ConfessesIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 19, 2021American rapper Bianca Dupree, who is professionally known as Bianca Bonnie, has shared a concerning post. about herself through her social media ...[Read more]
- Why Nigeria needs to be restructured – Fmr Gov, Jonah JangIn NewsJanuary 19, 2021A former presidential aspirant in the 2019 general elections under the platform of the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), The former ...[Read more]
- Reintroducing Khafi The Actress – Khafi Kareem Announces Plans To Return To ActingIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 19, 2021Reality TV star Khafi Kareem has announced plans to return to her first love and passion acting. The TV star shared a video of herself participating ...[Read more]
- Nigeria’s Border Closure Is Good For Security – NIS Boss BabandedeIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 19, 2021Mohammed Babandede the Comptroller General Of the Nigerian Immigration Service has revealed that the closure of the Nigerian borders was a great ...[Read more]
- Woman narrates how she was lured into marriage with voodooIn Local NewsJanuary 19, 2021A herb dealer, Rofiat Biliameen, has petitioned a Mapo Customary Court in Ibadan to dissolve her two and a half-year-old marriage to estranged ...[Read more]
- Court dismisses NJC’s objection on Justice Ofili-Ajumogobia’s sackIn NewsJanuary 19, 2021A Federal High Court, Abuja on Tuesday dismissed the objection raised by the National Judicial Council (NJC) against the hearing of a suit instituted ...[Read more]
- Is singer Vanessa Mdee and Nigerian-American actor Rotimi already married?In NewsJanuary 19, 2021Is singer Vanessa Mdee and Nigerian-American actor Rotimi already married? We know the two got engaged in December 2020(Read here) but Vanessa is ...[Read more]
- Governor Buni speaks on consolidating success in education Yobe StateIn Education, NewsJanuary 19, 2021Northern elders have appealed to President Muhamadu Buhari to device a new approach to restore peace in the region considering that the current ...[Read more]
- I’m A Good Actress- Vee RevealsIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 19, 2021Big brother naija ex housemate, Vee has come out to declare her she is a good actress and she wants everyone to know about it.The reality TV star ...[Read more]