Michael Conforto has performed this summer at what Brodie Van Wagenen dubbed Friday an “MVP-type” level.
Eligible for free agency following the 2021 season, has Conforto established himself as someone the Mets would be interested in locking up before he hits the open market?
“As a guy that was homegrown, he’s somebody that we’ve looked at as a long-term piece of our core going forward,” Van Wagenen said via Zoom before Friday’s 15-2 loss to the Braves. “We have had conversations — preliminary conversations — in the past about a mutual expression of interest potentially in the long-term.
“We’ll see how those conversations go when we start to put in this entire piece to the puzzle trying to develop our roster strategy as we go into the offseason.”
The expected transition to deep-pocketed prospective owner Steve Cohen could be a factor in locking up Conforto, who has posted a productive slash line of .337/.427/.5411 with nine home runs and 31 RBIs over 220 plate appearances in a small-sample 51 games for the Mets in the pandemic-shortened 2020 campaign.
The 27-year-old Conforto is represented by Scott Boras and likely to command a significant raise over his $8 million salary in his final year of arbitration this winter.
“It’s been an MVP-type season,” Van Wagenen said. “Dom Smith has had one of those too, and we’ve had a lot of guys with some spectacular performances. Michael has been consistent from the start of the season all the way up until even last night’s game. We’ve been impressed. … He’s just been an incredible performer.”
Slumping Pete Alonso’s .183 batting average and .663 OPS against left-handed pitching this season had Luis Rojas omit the reigning NL Rookie of the Year from the starting lineup against Braves lefty Max Fried. Rojas said Alonso’s 1-for-15 history against Fried also was a factor.
Rojas still hasn’t announced a starting pitcher for Sunday. Jacob deGrom threw a side session before the game, and Rojas said “we’ll see how he feels” Saturday before making a determination. The two-time Cy Young winner left his last start after two innings with a hamstring spasm.
Luis Guillorme’s .347 batting average couldn’t keep him on the active roster, as the utility infielder was optioned to the alternate sit so the Mets could summon Franklyn Kilome for pitching depth. … Van Wagenen would not commit to Seth Lugo remaining in the starting rotation or going back to the bullpen next season. … Dellin Betances (lat tightness) faced hitters Thursday at the alternate site. … Robinson Cano left the game after getting hit on the forearm by a pitch in the sixth inning. X-rays were negative, Rojas said.
Infielder Jed Lowrie has been a washout since signing a two-year deal worth $20 million before the 2019 season, appearing in just nine games (eight plate appearances) due to knee and other injuries.
“It’s frustrating that he wasn’t able to perform for his own goals and for us and our investment in him,” said Van Wagenen, Lowrie’s former agent. “I know he could’ve helped us.”
New York Post
- EndSARS: Let’s Continue To Spread Awareness – DJ CuppyOctober 26, 2020DJ Cuppy has taken to online media to encourage Nigerians to proceed with the protest against SARS and police brutality in the nation. As per her, ...[Read more]
- #EndSARS: Famous Nigerian comedian AY Blasts Those Asking Why No Celebrity Died During ProtestsOctober 26, 2020Famous Nigerian comedian, Ayo Makun better known as AY, has gone hard on individuals inquiring as to why no big name died during #EndSARS fights held ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Man Reveals How An Iron protector Saved His Shop From Being Looted In Imo State (+Photos)October 26, 2020A Nigerian businessman, Chima Smart Nwaneri, has taken to Twitter to uncover how an iron defender kept his shop from being burglarized in Owerri, Imo ...[Read more]
- Popular Nigerian Cross-dresser, Bobrisky Reveals Two Things He Can Never DoOctober 26, 2020Nigerian cross-dresser, Okuneye Idris better realized as Bobrisky has uncovered two things he can never be seen doing. He made this disclosure in ...[Read more]
- Chief of Army Staff Responds To Travel Ban calls By International BodiesOctober 26, 2020Tukur Buratai, Chief of Army Staff, has responded to calls by International bodies requiring a movement boycott to be put on some military officials ...[Read more]
- All the hoodlums who are taking advantage of this season, shall not go unpunished-Bishop Oyedepo warns hoodlumsOctober 26, 2020The General Overseer of Winners Chapel International, David Oyedepo, has declared that the hoodlums who took advantage of the ENDSARS impasse to loot ...[Read more]
- See Davido’s reaction to the To Newly Discovered Camera At Lekki Toll GateOctober 26, 2020Davido, the fiance of Chioma Avril Rowlan, has disclosed how surprised and shocked he feels about the Lekki Toll Gate discovery. Amid an inspection ...[Read more]
- BBNaija Laycon to feature Neo in his new musical videoOctober 26, 2020BBNaija star Laycon has tightened the bond between him and Neo as he featured him in his upcoming music video. Laycon In a picture circulating on ...[Read more]
- This few weeks have been though on me, Laycon appreciates fans for their supportOctober 26, 2020Big Brother Naija winner, Laycon has appreciated his fans for showing him love and support over the past few weeks. He said also that the week was ...[Read more]
- David Oyedepo Says Hoodlums Destroying Properties Will Not Go UnpunishedOctober 26, 2020Directing Bishop of the Living Faith Church, David Oyedepo has said hoodlums plundering, decimating and consuming properties in Nigeria will not go ...[Read more]