A young Brooklyn EMT died of a suspected drug overdose in the early stages of the pandemic, The Post has learned.
Alexander Raso, 24, was found unconscious by his father at his home in the Concord section of Staten Island around noon on March 16, the NYPD said.
Raso’s body was found lying next to an empty can of aerosol cleaner, according to police sources. A duffel bag with five additional empty cans were reportedly discovered nearby.
“It’s being investigated,” said an NYPD spokesman, who would not confirm the discovery of the cans.
Inhaling aerosol products to get high is a form of drug abuse known as “huffing.” It can cause long-lasting medical damage and even death.
Raso joined the FDNY in September and was assigned to EMS station 59 in Canarsie, according to an internal announcement of his death obtained by The Post.
He is at least the second rookie EMT to die during the coronavirus outbreak.
Bronx EMT John Mondello, 23, killed himself last Friday in Queens.
The city Medical Examiner’s office did not immediately comment on the cause of death.
- ‘Club Kid Killer’ Michael Alig found dead of suspected drug overdose
- Influencer ‘Ethan Is Supreme’ dead at 17 after suspected drug overdose
- ‘Club Kid Killer’ Michael Alig found dead of suspected heroin overdose
- Autopsy reveals Floyd Mayweather’s ex, Josie Harris died of drug overdose – LA Corona’s office
- Demi Lovato marks 2-year anniversary of her drug overdose: ‘My miracle day’
- Stepfather arrested after 4-year-old boy dies in apparent drug overdose
- Democratic donor Ed Buck facing new charges for prostitution, fatal drug overdose
- Beauty influencer, Ethan is Supreme dies at 17 from apparent drug overdose
- Cop charged in George Floyd’s death argues he died by drug overdose, not knee on neck
- ‘George Floyd died from drug overdose’ – Defence in Derek Chauvin’s murder trial tells jury