The Archbishop of Glasgow, Philip Tartaglia, has died after contracting coronavirus, the Catholic Church in Scotland has announced.
The 70-year-old, who had served as leader of Scotland’s largest Catholic community since 2012, tested positive for Covid-19 shortly after Christmas and had been self-isolating at home.
He died on Wednesday, January 13, being the Feast of St Mungo – the patron saint of Glasgow.
In a statement, the Church said: “A statement said: “It is with the greatest sorrow that we announce the death of our Archbishop.
“The Archbishop of Glasgow, Philip Tartaglia, has died suddenly at his home in Glasgow. He was 70 years old.”
“Archbishop Tartaglia, who had served as Archbishop of Glasgow since 2012, had tested positive for COVID 19 shortly after Christmas and was self-isolating at home.
“The cause of death is not yet clear.
“The Archbishop had served as leader of Scotland’s largest Catholic community since 2012.
“The Pope’s Ambassador to Great Britain, Archbishop Claudio Gugerotti has been informed.
“It will be for Pope Francis to appoint a new Archbishop to succeed Archbishop Tartaglia, but until then the Archdiocese will be overseen by an administrator.”
On Facebook, a spokesperson for the St Thomas the Apostle Riddrie church said: “East End Dean, Canon Andrew McKenzie called at midday today (13 January) with the sudden, shock, news that his Grace, the Archbishop, Most Reverend Philip Tartaglia, has died.
“He spent time at school in this parish and this place was dear to him.
“Please pray for the eternal repose of his soul.
“The parish has no further information at this moment and with you awaits an official statement from the Archdiocese.”
Parish Priest of Saint Augustine’s Roman Catholic Church in the Diocese of Motherwell, Scotland, Father Michael J Kane added: “Please pray for the repose of the soul of Archbishop Philip Tartaglia who sadly died this morning.
“We pray for the intercession of St Mungo, patron saint of Glasgow whose feast day we celebrate today. May he watch over the clergy & people of the Archdiocese at this sad time.
- We came from Sokoto – Suspected kidnappers arrested in EkitiIn Local NewsJanuary 22, 2021A taxi driver, one Tunde Bello, is currently cooling off his heels in the police cell for allegedly kidnapping and raping a 29-year-old lady in Ogun ...[Read more]
- No matter how long it takes, be patient your reward will come – Minister designate Saani Bakery to NPP youthIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Northern Regional Minister-Designate, Alhassan Saani Shaibu known in the political circles as Saani Bakery has advised young politicians to ...[Read more]
- Bill Gates receives COVID-19 vaccineIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company, KADECO, said it has to shut down operations of its Kafanchan business units indefinitely following the ...[Read more]
- Cuomo says NY’s COVID-19 vaccine supply ‘may already be exhausted’In USAJanuary 22, 2021New York state will run out of coronavirus vaccines on Friday — if it hasn’t already, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. “We run out of allocation today. The ...[Read more]
- Taxi driver reportedly kidnaps, rapes passenger in OgunIn Local NewsJanuary 22, 2021A taxi driver, one Tunde Bello, is currently cooling off his heels in the police cell for allegedly kidnapping and raping a 29-year-old lady in Ogun ...[Read more]
- KADECO: Operations in Kafanchan business units closed downIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021Barely a week after the Plateau State University Chapter of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), embarked on an indefinite strike, ...[Read more]
- ‘Phlegm Fatale’ protester appears in court for spitting on NYPD copIn USAJanuary 22, 2021The loogie-launching leftist who spat in the face of an NYPD cop during a November protest was arraigned on a desk appearance ticket Friday. NYU ...[Read more]
- Associate of Brooklyn rapper Casanova bragged about Miami shootingIn USAJanuary 22, 2021A suspected Florida gun trafficker who was charged along with Brooklyn rapper Casanova in the federal takedown of the Gorilla Stone Bloods bragged ...[Read more]
- Tons of foreign rice offloaded at Nigeria’s borders weeks after reopeningIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Nation’s prominent Civil Rights Advocacy group:- HUMAN RIGHTS WRITERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (HURIWA) has cautioned the Nigerian authorities ...[Read more]
- Four killed in gun duel between kidnappers, soldiers in OndoIn Local NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Police Command in Lagos State says it has arrested four police officers who allegedly harassed and extorted N70,000 from a 16-year-old student on ...[Read more]