The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Godwin Emefiele, risks a two-year jail term over refusal to pay N182 billion judgement debt.
A contempt charge of two years imprisonment was filed against Emefiele to order payment of N182 billion naira to Ogoni people as ordered by a law court.
The 182 billion naira was awarded against oil giant Shell Petroleum over the devastating oil spill, caused by the Ogoni land by the company.
The Ogonl people represented by Chief Lucious Nwosu SAN, filed the contempt charge praying the Federal High Court in Abuja to commit Emefiele to prison for allegedly disregarding order of court that awarded the money to the aggrieved Ogoni people.
During sitting on Wednesday, counsel to the Ogoni people, Nwosu expressed disgust over the absence of the CBN governor in court.
Nwosu informed the trial judge, Justice Taiwo Taiwo that the charge against Emefiele is quasi -criminal in nature and warranted his physical presence of the CBN governor to answer the charge.
However, Damian Dodo, counsel to Emefiele, informed the court that it was not the habit of his client to underrate the court of law and assured that Emefiele will do the need at the appropriate time.
Justice Taiwo, after listening to arguments, adjourned the matter till January 26, 2022.
The judge directed that Emefiele and all those involved in the matter should obey court order during the next adjourned date.
- Debt Is Not A Sin But Nigeria Can’t Stop Borrowing – CBN Governor, Emefiele Explains
- To Print Is About Lending Money – CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele Reacts To Governor Obaseki’s Statement That FG printed N50-60 Billion For States To Share (VIDEO)
- Group petitions CBN Gov Emefiele over alleged fraudulent deductions from widow’s account
- Textile Revival: Immortalise Mallam Isa Funtua, DG NTMA urges CBN Gov Emefiele
- Senate Summons CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, Over Ban On Cryptocurrency
- Farouq, Emefiele, CBN sued over Buhari govt palliatives
- CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele under attack over freezing of Accounts
- Cryptocurrency has no place in our monetary system at this time – CBN governor, Godwin Emefiele tells Senate
- COVID-19: CBN to give grants to scientists, researchers to aid produce local vaccines ― Emefiele
- CBN ready to partner private sector to tackle COVID-19 challenges — Emefiele