A group of Muslims scholars and clerics under the aegis The Muslim Solidarity Forum has asked the Bishop of Sokoto Catholic Diocese, Bishop Matthew Kukah, to apologise for his alleged “attack” on Islam and Muslims or leave the Caliphate.
The group which labelled itself as an umbrella body for Islamic organisations, scholars and clerics, asked the Christian cleric to apologise or leave the state following his 2020 Christmas Day message which according to them was an insult on Muslims and was capable of triggering religious violence in the country.
Kukah, in his Christmas homily, accused President Buhari of promoting northern hegemony, adding that there could have been a coup if a non-northern Muslim president had done a fraction of what the President has done since he assumed office in 2015.
At a press conference in Sokoto on Tuesday, January 12, the Acting Chairman of the Muslim forum, Sokoto chapter, Prof. Isa Muhammad Maishanu, said the message of the cleric was a direct attack on Islam. Maishanu said this is not the first time Kukah is attacking Islam and Muslims, especially those from the northern part of the country.
He faulted the message of Kukah in which he said if a fraction of the nepotism committed by Buhari, a Muslim and a Northerner, were committed by “any non-northern president, ” there would have been a coup in the country.” He said the statement was uncharitable and capable of causing violence.
Maishanu said that Kukah accusing Muslims of possessing a character of violence is provocative. He expressed concern that Kukah, who lives in the heart of Sokoto caliphate, can make such a statement because of his perceived ‘hatred’ for Islam and Muslims even when he calls himself apostle of peace.
“As part of his antics in February 2020, he shamelessly staged a demonstration in the heart of Sokoto over the killing of a single Christian priest in far away Adamawa State, presumably by the Boko Haram insurgency but did not consider hundreds of Muslim Fulani herders that were mercilessly killed by Christian militias in the neighbouring Taraba State,” Maishanu said
He stated that if Muslims in Sokoto responded to Kukah’s alleged incessant provocative attacks on them and their religion, peace could elude the country.
Maishanu said Kukah needs to apologise to Islam and Muslims for his alleged attacks on them or quietly vacate Sokoto state.
“These callous statements are becoming of someone who parades himself a secretary to the National Peace Committee and a member of Nigeria Inter-religious Council. As such, we call on Kukah to immediately stop his malicious vituperation against Islam and Muslims and tender unreserved apology to the Muslim Ummah or else quickly quietly leave the seat of Caliphate, as he is trying to break the age- long peaceful coexistence between the predominantly Muslim population and their Christian guests,” he said.
- ”We look forward to working together to tackle global terrorism” – Buhari congratulates Joe BidenIn Viral NewsJanuary 21, 2021Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari has congratulated Joe Biden on his inauguration as the 46th President of the United States, saying his ...[Read more]
- “Real Men Don’t Shave Their Armpits” – Music Executive, TeebillzIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 21, 2021Nigerian music executive and singer, Tiwa Savage’s ex-husband, Teebillz has said that real men don’t shave their armpits. This is coming after he ...[Read more]
- Why North won’t be silent over Buhari’s poor handling of insecurity – BafarawaIn NewsJanuary 21, 2021Olusegun Bamgbose, National Coordinator, Concerned Advocates for Good Governance, CAGG, has noted that ex-President Donald Trump may be President Joe ...[Read more]
- Piers Morgan sings praise of Jill Biden and says he’s “chuffed” for the Bidens as the new first familyIn NewsJanuary 21, 2021Piers Morgan, who used to be good friends with Donald Trump and even had a chance to interview the former US president aboard Airforce ...[Read more]
- Provisions already made to address inability to pay academic fees – Mahama Ayariga schooledIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 21, 2021Former Minister of State for Tertiary Education Prof Kwesi Yankah has addressed Mahama Ayariga’s proposition legislation that will suspend academic ...[Read more]
- Tailor who started out in her room gives thanks after opening her own store (Photos)In Gossip, Viral NewsJanuary 21, 2021A Nigerian tailor has served as a source of motivation to many after she shared the impressive upgrade she underwent in her trade as a result of hard ...[Read more]
- Liverpool vs Burnley: Michael Owen predicts EPL clashIn SportsJanuary 21, 2021Tottenham boss, Jose Mourinho, has finally ruled out any possibility of bringing Real Madrid centre-back, Eder Militao to Spurs this January transfer ...[Read more]
- EPL: Mourinho takes decision on bringing Real Madrid centre-back to TottenhamIn SportsJanuary 21, 2021Tottenham boss, Jose Mourinho, has finally ruled out any possibility of bringing Real Madrid centre-back, Eder Militao to Spurs this January transfer ...[Read more]
- NYC subway perv arrested again, accused of masturbating on trainIn USAJanuary 21, 2021A subway perv who allegedly masturbated in front of a woman aboard a Queens train was arrested last week, police announced Wednesday. Fnu ...[Read more]
- Insecurity: Bandits, kidnappers, Cultists and others are the enemies, not Hausa-Fulanis – Gov Seyi MakindeIn NewsJanuary 21, 2021As Oyo state grapples with incidents of kidnapping and banditry, the Oyo state government has dismissed claims that the Hausa-Fulani herdsmen are the ...[Read more]