Christopher Meloni, known for his role as Elliot Stabler, will return to Dick Wolf’s Law and Order SVU for its 22nd season, according to showrunner Warren Leight.
Leight confirmed on the SVU podcast on Wednesday that Stabler will at the least appear in the season opener.
“It’s pretty clear that Elliot will be in the SVU season opener. I think that much I know.”
The news of Christopher Meloni’s return comes a month after it was announced that his character would be getting his own show about leading his own crime unit.
No air date has been announced as of yet.
After starring alongside Mariska Hargitay, who plays Elliot’s former partner Olivia Benson, Meloni left the SVU squad following season 12.
Stabler went into retirement, citing the emotional toll of the job.
Leight also said that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it is unclear when filming of the 22nd season will begin.
It is still unclear if the entire Stabler family will be in the new season’s opening episode.
“Whether we’ll get to see his family as well remains to be seen,” says Leight.
Stabler and his family were slated to appear at the end of the show’s 21st season, however, this idea was eventually cut when the pandemic curtailed shooting.
- Does ‘SVU’ Star Christopher Meloni Prefer Comedy Work Over the Crime Drama?
- Christopher Meloni and Mariska Hargitay reunite before ‘Law & Order’ spinoff
- ‘Law & Order’ star Christopher Meloni buys 3 NYC condos amid ‘zaddy’ boom
- Christopher Meloni on returning to the ‘Law & Order’ universe
- How ‘Law & Order’ star Christopher Meloni gets his ‘juicy’ butt: ‘I’m a zaddy’
- ‘Law & Order’ spinoff teases ‘devastating’ loss for Christopher Meloni’s Stabler
- ‘Law & Order: SVU’: Could Raúl Esparza Return to the Series?
- Christopher Meloni is selling Ozzie and Harriet’s famed mansion
- ‘Law & Order: SVU’: Does Raúl Esparza Think Benson and Barba Could Have Found Love Together?
- Christopher Meloni takes it to the ‘Maxxx’ in new Hulu comedy