The founder of Afe Babalola University, Ado Ekiti(ABUAD), Aare Afe Babalola (SAN), has described as unconstitutional, the closure of Nigerian universities by the federal government due to the Covid-19 pandemic .
Babalola was reacting to reports that the federal government plans to postpone the resumption of universities earlier slated for January 18.
According to Babalola, such an action would be counterproductive and destroy the already fragile education sector.
He said: “I am of the firm view that mass closure of schools is unconstitutional , disastrous and counter productive .
” It is certainly unjust to the parents, teachers, students and Proprietors of schools and also violates the rule of natural justice”, he stated .
According to Babalola, the Nigerian FG should emulate the United States Centre for Disease Control and Prevention as schools are different and every school should be judged on its capacity to follow covid-19 protocols..
“The USCDC said universities are different in terms of size , geographical location , structure and in their abilities to take measure that will guarantee minimum risk to students and teachers in their schools, which in turn will ensure undistrupted and on-campus learning for students.
“On the contrary, universities which do not possess these facilities are within high risk category.
“I hereby strongly advise that the federal government should stop mass closure of schools. All schools, particularly the private universities that have the required world class health facilities and have complied with Presidential Task Force regulations which will enable them to implement low medium risk measures ought not and should not be shut down.
He added that his university had been having a smooth and uninterrupted academic calendar before the abrupt disruption by Covid 19, despite the world class facilities present in the University that can help in preventing the spread of the disease.
“The FG should know that schools in Ekiti are safer than that located in the heart of Lagos. We must consider the geographical location. Any worker here who goes to Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt goes for special test and seven days isolation. This underscored the level of our preparedness”.
He urged the federal government to emulate foreign countries by paying the salaries of lecturers in the private universities, which were shut down because of Covid 19.
Speaking on whether he will approach the court to challenge the closure of private universities, Babalola said: “I am not going to court, because we have not exhausted the option of negotiation and local remedy. I am a friend of the FG and I know that the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) will look into it”.
Speaking on his universities’ losses this season, Babalola added; “We can’t even quantify our losses. We have been following international standard, which was September to July academic session before this global problem.
“We have done seven convocations in ten years . We used to pay salaries on the 24th of the months and nobody has been sacked despite this suspension of work. But this has affected our purse. How can we be paying for services not rendered? This is unfair.
- Pigeons released by Imo Governor, Uzodinma also refuse to fly (Watch)In Viral NewsJanuary 16, 2021It appears this is a period of subtle birds protest as Pigeons released by Imo state governor refused to take flight at the state’s Armed Forces ...[Read more]
- “What I Would Love To Be Remembered For” – Singer, SimiIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 16, 2021Nigerian sensational singer and mother of one, Simisola Kosoko professionally known as Simi, has disclosed what she would love to be remembered for. ...[Read more]
- Gbadamosi narrates how he survived COVID-19In COVID-19, NewsJanuary 16, 2021Olisa and Onyeka Eze, two princes of Ukpo kingdom in Dunukofia Local Government Area of Anambra State, who were detained for three months over a ...[Read more]
- Akande remains truly inspirational, a challenge to politicians – OyetolaIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Olisa and Onyeka Eze, two princes of Ukpo kingdom in Dunukofia Local Government Area of Anambra State, who were detained for three months over a ...[Read more]
- Liverpool vs Man Utd: Ex-EPL referee reveals how Klopp tried to influence himIn EPL, SportsJanuary 16, 2021Chelsea boss, Frank Lampard, has reacted to reports linking the club’s former coach, Avram Grant, with a return to Chelsea. Grant has been linked ...[Read more]
- Sam George narrates insider account behind NPP MPs reporting to Parliament at 3amIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 16, 2021Member of Parliament for Ningo Prapram Sam George has explained the reason behind the NPP MPs early attendance to Parliament on Friday, January 16, ...[Read more]
- Man caught after paying with fake transfer in an expensive restaurant (Video)In Viral NewsJanuary 16, 2021A young man has got himself in a big mess after dining and wining in a big restaurant then paying with a fake bank transfer. It was an unfortunate ...[Read more]
- Transfer: Ozil finally reaches agreement with Arsenal to terminate contractIn SportsJanuary 16, 2021Chelsea boss, Frank Lampard, has reacted to reports linking the club’s former coach, Avram Grant, with a return to Chelsea. Grant has been linked ...[Read more]
- Arthur Eze’s kinsmen storm Ngige’s office after release from detentionIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Abia State government, on Saturday, said it has set up a mobile court in the State to check the unabated harmful environmental attitudes of the ...[Read more]
- Abia sets up mobile court on environmental sanitationIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Abia State government, on Saturday, said it has set up a mobile court in the State to check the unabated harmful environmental attitudes of the ...[Read more]