The Director-General, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, has warned that the Coronavirus pandemic is spreading fast, causing mild symptoms in some victims and severe illnesses and death in others.
Ihekweazu disclosed this on Monday in Abuja at the joint national briefing of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19.
He said that many victims have continued to experience fatigue and other symptoms, even after recovery.
According to him, in the last four weeks, the country has recorded a spike in the number of new COVID-19 cases.
“We have now reported over 100,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Nigeria, and this is a stark reminder of the reality we live in now.
“A virus that has affected over 100,000 lives and led to over 1,300 deaths within 11 months in Nigeria, with millions more globally.
“We cannot be too careful. The silent face of COVID-19 with which you cannot tell whether someone has the virus or not, the only option before us is to take protective measures at all times,“ he said.
Meanwhile, Ihekweazu said that healthcare workers needed now to maintain a higher index of suspicion for COVID-19, noting that “if people were unwell, they should first rule out COVID-19 before treating malaria’’.
- Bobrisky to spend N532million on his 30th birthdayIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 22, 2021Nigerian crossdresser, Bobrisky has revealed that he would spend a whooping N532million on three gifts for himself on his 30th birthday. The ...[Read more]
- Bauchi Governor signs $70m MoU with UK-based firm on provision of electricityIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021
- Why I invited PDP Governor to commission projects in Jigawa – Gov BadaruIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021
- COVID-19: Africa’s cases surpass 3.3m as death toll hits 82,000In COVID-19, NewsJanuary 22, 2021
- BREAKING: Oyo: Makinde orders Police to arrest Sunday Igboho, others over Fulani quit noticeIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has ordered the Police to arrest Sunday Igboho and others causing tension in the state. On Friday, Igboho went to ...[Read more]
- Romance or disrespect? Woman’s photo of man with his leg on her thigh on first date sparks debateIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021A woman took to Twitter to share a photo of a man with his feet on her thigh on their first date. She captioned the photo: “How I go on a first ...[Read more]
- Brooklyn rapper Sheff G allegedly busted with loaded gun during traffic stopIn USAJanuary 22, 2021A Brooklyn rapper was allegedly busted with a loaded .45-caliber handgun after being stopped for an illegal u-turn, The Post has learned. The rapper, ...[Read more]
- Blasphemy: Death Sentence Of Kano Singer Overturned By The CourtIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 22, 2021
- Soldier brings out cutlass after slapping footballer, Chikelu Ofoedu (Video)In Viral NewsJanuary 22, 2021A video circulating on social media shows the moment a military officer exchanged words with Nigerian professional footballer, Chikelu Ofoedu. The ...[Read more]
- Bernie Sanders mittens meme ‘visits’ Brooklyn College in hilarious photoshopIn USAJanuary 22, 2021Bernie Sanders and his viral mittens fit like a glove on the Brooklyn College campus! The liberal Vermont senator’s first alma mater photoshopped the ...[Read more]