Government of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, has sent 150 homeless wanderers and beggars out of the state.
The vagrants were sent back to their home states in the North, Niger Republic, Ebonyi and Akwa Ibom States.
This is part of the government’s measures to contain the spread of coronavirus pandemic in the state.
Through its Ministry of Social Welfare, State government profiled the affected persons and sent them to their states and country of origin
This was disclosed by the state’s Commissioner for Social Welfare, Mrs. Inime Aguma on Tuesday.
Aguma led other officials of the ministry to profile all the vagrants before they were evacuated to their states and local government areas of origin.
The commissioner disclosed that the evacuation exercise was not discriminatory and but designed to protect Rivers people.
She pointed out that the exercise was not targeted at any ethnic group, but was aimed at removing vagrants capable of spreading virus on the streets.
She noted that adequate arrangements were being made to ensure that the vagrants were transported to their respective locations in dignity.
Recall that Wike, while addressing the state on Monday, had directed the commissioner to deport all vagrants to their states of origin.
According to him, “We have also directed the Commissioner of Social Welfare to round-up and deport all vagrants, including the almajiris, to their states of origin to protect our people from the threat they present to the transmission of this pandemic.”
- COVID-19: Gov. Wike sacks beggars from Rivers
- Rivers Gov, WIke, Sacks Perm Sec For Flouting COVID-19 Guidelines
- Rivers: PDP sacks Youth Leader whose hotel was demolished by Wike
- Wike dissolves Rivers Taskforce on Illegal Trading, Motor Parks; sacks SA
- Wike sacks Rivers task force coordinator, Amaewhiule
- Rivers gov’t sacks two principals for flouting COVID-19 protocol
- Beggars Forum: Wike is our old, strong member – NGF
- Obaseki: Govs Forum under APC has become beggars forum — Wike
- Nigeria Governors Forum replies Wike after he called the forum a âbeggars forum’
- NGF Reacts As Governor Wike Calls It A Forum Of Beggars