The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) on Thursday issued a strong warning to the North and Islamic groups over threats on Catholic Bishop of Sokoto, Matthew Hassan Kukah.
The Christian leadership warned them to watch their utterances and actions.
Joseph Bade Daramola, CAN General Secretary, in a statement sent to DAILY POST warned that “enough is enough”.
Trouble started when Kukah lambasted Muhammadu Buhari on Christmas Day.
The National Peace Committee member accused the Nigerian leader of nepotism and that he had reduced others in public life to second class status.
The cleric declared that if a non-Nothern Muslim was the President and did the same things as Buhari, there could have been a coup or war.
Individuals, Northern, Islamic bodies including Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC), among others, have attacked Kukah.
In its reaction, the Muslum Solidarity Forum told the Bishop to leave Sokoto, a warning the presidency condemned in an apparent move to douse tension.
CAN has now charged security agencies to ensure the Kukah’s safety.
Daramola said the body has been watching the unfolding scenario since Kukah spoke his mind on the State of the Nation in his Christmas homily.
“Some groups of people have been threatening him with ﬁre and brimstone while all relevant security agencies are pretending as if nothing unusual is happening. We wonder if those threatening the Catholic Bishop of Sokoto are above the law or if they are sacred cows in the country.
“We have studied the whole Christmas message of Dr Kukah and we are yet to see any incitement against Islam or non- Christians. We see nothing wrong in his message to the nation that has been under the siege of terrorists, herdsmen killers, bandits and kidnappers as if there was no government in place.
“We see nothing wrong in telling a government whose lopsided appointments are against Christians the whole truth. If criticism against a Muslim President today, is an incitement to violence against Islam, it then means those who were criticising the duo of former Presidents Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan when they were in power were actually attacking Christianity.
“When has it become an offence to speak the truth to power? When has it become a crime to criticise a government in the country? When did the lawful fundamental of human rights suspend in the country? When did some sections of the Constitution suspended without the awareness of the public?
“When did the Police and the Directorate of the State Security Services lose their power to miscreants and lawless people who are making boast of their lawlessness without a challenge? We wonder if those Muslim groups who are threatening to deal with Kukah got equal response from their Christian counterparts, are we not setting up the country on ﬁre?
“Bishop Kukah was posted to serve in Sokoto by the Papacy and threatening him to leave is a global threat to Christianity. In this same country, we have a Catholic Priest whose name is synonymous with President Muhammadu Buhari yet the Catholic Church has not deemed it ﬁt to sanction him because Freedom of Speech and Association is not only a constitutional matter but godly.
“We call on President Muhammadu Buhari and all the security agencies to ensure that no harm befall the Catholic Bishop of the Sokoto Diocese, Dr Matthew Hassan Kukah. As far as the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) is concerned, what he said in his Christmas Homily was still within the ambience of the law.
“It is high time those hiding under religious sentiments to promote violence and crises stopped doing so if we want this country to progress. We have had enough of bloodshed in the country and we call on the security agencies to rise up to their constitutional responsibilities. Nothing must happen to Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah”, the scribe added.
- Troops arrest two suspected kidnappers in Kaduna villageIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Islamic Movement in Nigeria, IMN, otherwise known as Shi’ites, has lamented the continued incarceration of its leader, Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky ...[Read more]
- Asante Kotoko terminate Sulley Muniru’s contractIn Ghana, SportsJanuary 22, 2021Ghana Premier League side, Kumasi Asante Kotoko, have terminated the contract of midfielder, Sulley Muniru, on a mutual understanding between the two ...[Read more]
- Your Election Is Proof That Democracy Is A Journey – GEJ To Biden, HarrisIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 22, 2021Like many other leaders, former President Goodluck Jonathan has congratulated the 46th President of the United States, Joe Biden, and the first ever ...[Read more]
- Real Madrid manager, Zidane tests positive for COVID-19In COVID-19, SportsJanuary 22, 2021Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, has wished Chelsea boss, Frank Lampard, the best over the Blues’ current struggles. Arteta insisted that he is taking ...[Read more]
- Sheikh Zakzaky’s wife, Zeenah may have contracted COVID-19, may die in prison – Shi’itesIn COVID-19, NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Islamic Movement in Nigeria, IMN, otherwise known as Shi’ites, has lamented the continued incarceration of its leader, Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky ...[Read more]
- Boko Haram regrouping in Nasarawa – Gov Abdullahi Sule raises alarmIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021Nasarawa Governor Abdulahi Sule has said that members of the dreaded sect, Boko Haram, are regrouping in the state and carrying out acts of violence. ...[Read more]
- “Don’t be offended when people you know don’t support your business” – Kiki OsinbajoIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021Beauty entreprenuer, Kiki Osinbajo has advised people not to take offence when friends don’t support their business. The Vice President’s ...[Read more]
- Kaduna government sacks 65 âillegally recruited teachersâIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Kaduna state government has confirmed the sack of 65 teachers who were “illegally” recruited. Kaduna State Universal Basic ...[Read more]
- Nigerian irregular migrants in Saudi Arabia to be evacuated on January 28 and 29 – Abike Dabiri-ErewaIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission NIDCOM, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, says Nigerian irregular migrants in Saudi Arabia, will be evacuated ...[Read more]
- Arsenal signs Mat Ryan ahead of FA Cup clash with SouthamptonIn SportsJanuary 22, 2021Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, has wished Chelsea boss, Frank Lampard, the best over the Blues’ current struggles. Arteta insisted that he is taking ...[Read more]