The Osun State Government on Saturday announced that one of its coronavirus patients has passed on.
The governor also informed that the index case in the state who has tested negative twice has been discharged.
The Commissioner for Health in the state, Rafiu Isamotu, made this known in a statement made available to newsmen.
Recall that the index case had arrived Osun from the United Kingdom before being taken into the Isolation Centre, and subsequently to the care facility, where he has been receiving adequate medical care until his full recovery on Friday.
Ismaotu added that three health workers in the State, who had earlier tested positive for Coronavirus, have also tested negative for the second time and are now free of the virus.
He recalled that the health workers had last Wednesday, tested negative for COVID-19 but had to be subjected to the second round of tests, in line with the protocol of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC.
The Commissioner further stressed that the State government received results of the index case and those of the health workers’ second test on Friday evening from the NCDC accredited Testing Centre, the African Centre of Excellence in Genomics of Infectious Diseases, Ede.
“With the development, the total number of active cases in the State is now eight.
“On a sad note, we lost a COVID-19 patient in her late 60s at our isolation centre in Osogbo. We pray God to grant her eternal rest and give her family the fortitude to bear the loss,” he said.
Isamotu urged frontline health workers to always use their Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when discharging their duties.
He also reiterated that only accredited isolation and treatment centres in the State are allowed to attend to suspected COVID-19 patients.
- COVID 19: Osun discharges index case, three health workers, records another death
- UPDATED: COVID-19: Delta discharges index case, 4 others
- Delta discharges index case, two others
- COVID-19: Osun records another death, discharges 12 patients from isolation
- Osun Discharges 4 COVID-19 Patients, Records Another Death
- COVID-19: Jigawa discharges four patients since record of index case
- COVID-19: Abia discharges index case
- Kebbi state discharges its index case of COVID-19
- Yobe discharges COVID-19 index case
- Osun discharges four COVID-19 patients, records one new case