The National President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi has explained why universities in the country can’t reopen in spite of the National Universities Commission (NUC) directive for schools to resume academic activities on January 18.
Ogunyemi who appeared on a Channels Television programme on Tuesday January 12, said they are concerned about the safety of their members.
“Our concern is rooted in the safety of our members. What happens to congested hostels, crowded classrooms? What flexible arrangements are in place? It is a situation of emergency. I’m not sure the Universities can cope.”
On if e-learning was an option for universities, the ASUU President said the necessary infrastructure was not in place.
“We are aware that some universities are putting measures in place, with alternative learning models,” he said. “Some are even trying blended classes, virtual and physical.
“But these efforts are limited. They get to a point they can’t go further.
“ASUU has been talking about revitalisation since 2012. These are some of the areas where the assistance would have helped. Universities need huge funds to do this.
“People are saying start virtual classes, but more than 60 percent of our students will run into trouble – they can’t afford data or smartphones.”
- NYPD rescues dog from freezing Jamaica Bay waterIn USAJanuary 21, 2021It was ruff day for this pup. The NYPD Harbor Unit rescued a dog struggling to stay above water in Jamaica Bay Wednesday morning. Officers were ...[Read more]
- UK Records 1820 COVID-19 Death – The Highest In A Single DayIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 21, 2021Britain’s Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Chris Whitty, Chief Medical Officer for England and Chief Scientific Adviser to the Government, Sir Patrick ...[Read more]
- This Is Why Michelle Obama And Joe Biden’s Grandchildren Are Melting Everyone’s Heart On Social MediaIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 21, 2021Former first lady Michelle Obama has warmly greeted members of Joe Biden’s family – hugging his grandchildren as she stepped onto the inaugural ...[Read more]
- “Many Of Your Friends Are Miserable Today Because They Married Quick” – Reno Omokri Warn SinglesIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 21, 2021
- Sanitizer in chief: Twitter loves the inauguration’s mystery podium cleanerIn LifestyleJanuary 21, 2021Forget Joe Biden, Kamala Harris and, heck, even Lady Gaga — the true star of the inauguration was the bespectacled man of mystery who wiped down the ...[Read more]
- ‘I Don’t Believe In House Helps’ – BBNaija’s Uriel Oputa Lament Doing Everything HerselfIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 21, 2021
- KOKOnista Of The Day: Amanda Gorman Is The Young Poet Laureate Inspiring With Her Work On Race, Feminism And African DiasporaIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 21, 2021Her art and activism focus on issues of oppression, feminism, race, and marginalisation, as well as the African diaspora. She read her poem “The ...[Read more]
- Three National Guard members killed in helicopter crash in upstate New YorkIn USAJanuary 21, 2021Three National Guard members were killed when a military helicopter crashed in upstate New York Wednesday evening, officials said. The aircraft, a ...[Read more]
- Three dead after military chopper crashes in upstate New YorkIn USAJanuary 21, 2021Three people were killed when a military helicopter crashed in upstate New York Wednesday evening, according to reports. The fatal crash occurred ...[Read more]
- Portugal sets records in one of world’s worst virus surgesIn LifestyleJanuary 21, 2021LISBON, Portugal — Portugal’s new daily COVID-19 cases jumped to more than 14,600 to set a new national record Wednesday, as the country weathers one ...[Read more]