By Evelyn Usman
Lagos State Police Command said it had arrested 58 persons for not wearing face masks and 121 others for violating the curfew imposed by the Federal Government.
The curfew was imposed on Monday, following a review of the lockdown aimed at containing the spread of COVID-19 pandemic.
Also, the Command impounded 79 vehicles during the curfew hours.
Spokesman for the command, DSP Elkana Bala, who made the disclosure in a statement, said the arrested suspects, alongside 148 others arrested over the weekend for violating lockdown order, were charged to court, thereby bringing the total number of suspects charged to court on Tuesday to 325.
He said: “They were sentenced accordingly. Some of the suspects were given four hours community service, while others were awarded fines between N2,500 and N3,000.
“The Commissioner of Police Lagos State, CP Hakeem Odumosu, and other senior officers went round the state on the first day of the curfew to monitor the level of compliance and the CP was impressed, and looks forward to huge improvement in the coming days.
“Today, (on Tuesday) the CP and his counterpart in Ogun State, visited the checkpoint at the boundary community in Ojodu Berger, manned by personnel from both states’ police commands.
“Security is tightened at the boundary community to restrict non-essential interstates movements,” Bala stated.
- Soldiers arrest Chief of Staff of Biafra group, membersIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021
- Egypt unveils 3000-year old coffins in latest archaeological discoveryIn LifestyleJanuary 18, 2021CAIRO – Egypt has unveiled a significant new archaeological discovery at the Saqqara necropolis south of Cairo, including 54 wooden coffins, many of ...[Read more]
- Anambra Governor’s wife, Ebele Obiano takes COVID-19 vaccine in America (Video)In Health, Viral NewsJanuary 18, 2021Wife of Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra State, Ebelechukwu Obiano has received the Covid-19 vaccine in Houston, Texas, USA. Ebele Obiano said that ...[Read more]
- Tommy Hilfiger dumps $45 million Greenwich mansion for sunny FloridaIn LifestyleJanuary 18, 2021Just about everybody seems to be moving to Florida — including Tommy Hilfiger, who dumped his $45 million Greenwich mansion for warmer ...[Read more]
- Chinese restaurant goes viral for ‘extremely honest’ menuIn LifestyleJanuary 18, 2021This restaurant certainly can’t be accused of overselling its menu. A Chinese restaurant in Montreal is going viral for its ...[Read more]
- De Blasio, Sharpton and mayoral candidates attend MLK Day event in NYCIn USAJanuary 18, 2021Mayor Bill de Blasio and a half-dozen New Yorkers seeking to replace him at City Hall will commemorate Martin Luther King Jr. Day with speeches at ...[Read more]
- We are focused on security, economy, anti-corruption – BuhariIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021
- Premier League records 16 COVID-19 casesIn COVID-19, Premier League, SportsJanuary 18, 2021The Premier League has announced that 16 positive coronavirus cases were recorded in the latest week of testing. It marks a significant reduction ...[Read more]
- 2023: Nnamdi Kanu accused of working against Igbo presidencyIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021
- Militants attack shipyard in Akwa Ibom over failure to pay N20m settlementIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021