By Godfrey Bivbere
FOLLOWING long stay onboard vessels occasioned by the COVID-19 pandemic seafarers have turned on themselves.
Deputy President General of Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria, MWUN, Comrade Douglas Eromoboh, raised an alarm that two seafarers stabbed themselves onboard a vessel and that all over the oil platforms and rigs, seafarers are now attacking their captains because they want to go home.
Eromobor threatened that the union would be forced to take a drastic action that would lead to shutting down the oil and gas sector because according to him, workers in the upstream sector are not being considered essential by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.
The unionists demanded that the governors of Lagos and Rivers states must as a matter of urgency call for a meeting with the President General of MWUN, Comrade Adewale Adeyanju on how the seafarers can be given easy evacuation from vessels.
He alleged that the helicopter that is supposed to evacuate seafarers from these oil platforms are now being allowed passage by the Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State.
“The seafarers are crying that they have overstayed onboard vessels and they want to go home. The international law says that every seafarer should stay onboard vessel for three months or six months latest, but all of them are stuck onboard because of lockdown. They have now started fighting their captains, they are even killing themselves right now. I just got a report where a seafarer stabbed another because he is crazy, they are killing themselves right now onboard” he said.
According to Comrade Eromoboh, crew change is supposed to last between three months and six months, but Federal Government is not putting this into consideration, the government must recognise that seafarers have a special job and are recognised internationally.
“Seafarers are going crazy now, they are becoming crazy and lunatics, for a seafarer to stay six months onboard a vessel, he is no longer normal. If a Navy man stays onboard a vessel for more than four months, there would be mutiny because he is tired and wants to go to his family. We are having seafarers on oil platforms, oil rigs, onboard vessels and so on, but right now, Governor Wike has said that if seafarers are not cleared of the COVID-19 virus, they should not go onboard vessels.
“Right now we are facing a lot of problems because where the crude oil is being refined, where they are loading and offloading, we have seafarers all over. If care is not taken the PTF would cause commotion in this country, nobody is looking at protecting the seafarers and crew exchange.”
“Government cannot keep seafarers onboard vessels for one year or as long as the lockdown would last.
NIMASA that is supposed to regulate the seafarers are not even saying anything about it”
“I will advise the Governor of Lagos State, the PTF and Gov Wike to call the President General of MWUN for a meeting to know how we can put things right, otherwise, we would tell all our members to stop bringing oil to Nigeria and ground the economy”
“The chopper used to carry seafarers onboard their various vessels in Escravos, Calabar, Akwa Ibom and every other area, they use choppers, and the chopper must take off from Air Force Base in Port Harcourt, and now Gov Wike is saying that if you do not obtain your permit, you should not come to Rivers State”
“Rivers State right now is shut down 24hours starting from Thursday, our members are calling us from all over because they can no longer stay onboard, we are going to stage a revolution that the government would not be able to handle”
“Even on NLNG, BONGO and other platforms, everything is now messed up, the crew changes are not being made and management are now threatening to sack workers” Comrade Eromoboh stated
- History as “Come Closer” by Wizkid Ft. Drake goes Platinum in CanadaIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 16, 2021Nigerian afrobeat heavyweight, Ayo Balogun better known as Wizkid has become the only Nigerian artiste to go Platinum twice in Canada. The singer ...[Read more]
- “Nothing can break me” – James Brown reacts after Instagram deactivation (Video)In Celebrity NewsJanuary 16, 2021Popular crossdresser, James Brown has addressed the deactivation of his Instagram account following a brawl with Bobrisky. It would be recalled that ...[Read more]
- Abia gives 7-day ultimatum to street tradersIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Street traders at Obikabia and Opobo junctions, Ogbor Hill in Aba, have been given seven days to vacate the streets and move into approved markets in ...[Read more]
- 2021: Crisis in Aso Rock will shake Nigeria, Niger Delta will clash with Fulani, Governor will die – Prophet OkikijesuIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Apostle Paul Okikijesu of the Christ Apostolic Miracle Ministry has claimed in a series of prophecies that God revealed to him there will be a ...[Read more]
- Gunmen kill man in Delta, cart away cashIn Local NewsJanuary 16, 2021Fifteen (15) passengers lost their lives on Friday as two buses burst into flames after they collided along the Maiduguri, Damaturu road. The ...[Read more]
- ”May those who don’t believe COVID-19 is real contract it” —Ifu Ennada PraysIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 16, 2021Reality TV Star, Ifu Ennada prays that those who don’t believe in COVID-19 should contract it. Taking to her social media handle, Ifu Ennada attacks ...[Read more]
- The spirit of Rawlings will see NDC through Supreme Court petition – Ofosu AmpofoIn GhanaJanuary 16, 2021General Secretary of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Dr. Samuel Ofosu Ampofo has said that the forefathers of NDC and the spirit of their ...[Read more]
- “I am taking charge of Tunde Ednut’s case, it is spiritual” – Pastor Omashola (Video)In Celebrity NewsJanuary 16, 2021Controversial man of God, Pastor Chris Omashola has announced getting involved in Tunde Ednut’s spiritual issue involving the loss of his Instagram ...[Read more]
- Reconstruction of Kejetia and Dumsor caused Kumawood collapse – Papa KumasiIn Entertainment, GhanaJanuary 16, 2021Actor Papa Kumasi has disclosed that the reconstruction of Kumasi Kejetia and power experienced in Ghana some years ago contributed to the downfall ...[Read more]
- COVID-19: Niger State govt issues new directive to schools over resumptionIn COVID-19, Education, NewsJanuary 16, 2021The Vice Chancellor, Abia State University (ABSU), Professor O. M Ogbulu has charged ABSU scientists and Senior Academics in the Faculty of ...[Read more]