The Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) has been called out for allegedly installing a supposed new electricity meter with an outstanding debt of N120,000.
Tenants of the affected building inside EFAB Estate in Jabi, Abuja, expressed their anger in a chat with DAILY POST.
On Friday January 9, AEDC officials went to their residence on Road 15 to fix the meter but did not activate.
The next day, the landlord, Mr A. A. (Full name withheld) and tenants called the company to report the matter.
AEDC replied they had closed for the day and could only resolve the issue by Monday.
One of the occupants, Victoria, recalled that her apartment did not have electricity from that Friday till Monday.
She further explained: “After it was eventually activated, we discovered it was not the meter paid for. I found out after using BuyPower (WhatsApp option) to purchase N5,000 light.
“Confused, I checked the transaction details and saw an outstanding of N119,915.83k. I kept wondering how a new meter could have such a debit balance. Also, the address was not ours.
“I then informed the landlord who confirmed the meter name, Mr. N. A. J. (Full name withheld) was not what he used when he applied and paid for the energy device.
“We called AEDC again on Monday. One Ibrahim of the Customer Care Unit assured it would be rectified. As I speak almost one week later, a wrong meter with N119,915.83k after deduction of my N5,000 has not been replaced.”
The aggrieved citizens sent the screenshot of details of the “new meter” which shows the name, address (not the landlord’s or residence), and unsettled bill.
They described the situation as the “height of irresponsibility”, lamenting their almost one week of frustration.
“If Nigeria was a country where justice is timely dispensed and adequate compensation granted, many public and private institutions would be bankrupt by now”, another tenant fumed.
Oyebode Fadipe, AEDC Corporate Communications General Manager, did not take calls or reply text enquiries at press time.
Other phone numbers dialed were either dropped or didn’t go through.
Michael Faloseyi, Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) spokesman, also did not calls.
A representative of NERC Abuja Forum Office, on condition of anonymity, advised that the complainants “draft a notification to AEDC so that it can be corrected”. But this has been done.
Asked why a new meter was delivered with N120,000 debt, she said: “This means it’s an old meter. Every new meter has about 1,000 to 2,000 units. If they carried that particular meter from another place to your place, the debt will be there. New meters don’t carry debt.
DAILY POST reports that there have been similar complaints by customers in Abuja and other parts of the country.
- Which Location Can You Name Your Child In Nigeria – Alex EkuboIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Nollywood star Alex Ekubo has asked a very interesting question about what area in Nigeria one could name a child after just like they do in Europe. ...[Read more]
- Ned Nwoko finally makes clarification on Zambian mistress alleged to become his 7th wifeIn Entertainment, GossipJanuary 27, 2021Nigerian billionaire and philanthropist, Prince Ned Nwoko has cleared the air on reports of him planning marry a Zambian, Phyllis Thompson as his 7th ...[Read more]
- Chelsea vs Wolves: Abramovich sets target for Tuchel as he replaces LampardIn SportsJanuary 27, 2021
- Chelsea vs Wolves: Details of Tuchel’s discussion with players ahead of first gameIn SportsJanuary 27, 2021
- Serwaa Amihere Flaunts The Handsome Gynecologist Who Takes Care Of Her Pxxy And Entire Reproductive SystemIn EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Serwaa Amihere has flaunted the man who has the license to call her at any time and tell her hey, come and let me check your pxxy if it’s receiving ...[Read more]
- BBNaija’s Ka3na reveals why she’s “so proud and likes fighting with everyone”In Celebrity NewsJanuary 27, 2021Controversial ex-BBNaija housemate, Ka3na “the boss lady”, has taken to social media to reveal why she’s “so proud and likes fighting everyone”. The ...[Read more]
- Man Utd vs Sheffield: We will not buy new players – SolskjaerIn SportsJanuary 27, 2021
- ‘What Did Igbo People Do To Buhari?”- Reno Omokri Reacts To The Non-inclusion Of Igbo People In Appointment Of Fresh Service ChiefsIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsJanuary 27, 2021Political activist Reno Omokri has reacted to the recent appointment of new service chiefs by President Buhari. The activist took to his Instagram ...[Read more]
- ‘Trump impeachment trial is illegal ‘ – 95% of U.S. Senate Republicans vote that convicting an ex-president is unconstitutionalIn NewsJanuary 27, 2021It looks like former US president won’t be convicted by the US Senate after the Senate tabled an effort by Sen. Rand Paul Tuesday to force a ...[Read more]
- Police uncover another child trafficking syndicate in Anambra (photos)In NewsJanuary 27, 2021The police in Anambra state has uncovered yet another child trafficking syndicate in the state. A statement released by the spokesperson of the ...[Read more]