The Central Bank of Nigeria is maintaining its stand on the ban on Cryptocurrency.
The governor of the apex bank, Godwin Emefiele, who appeared before the Senate Joint Committee on Banking, Insurance, and other financial institutions on Tuesday, February 23, said that money laundering, terrorism financing, and other criminal activities were being carried out using the digital currency.
Describing the operations of cryptocurrencies as dangerous and opaque, the CBN Governor said the use of cryptocurrency contravened an existing law. He said given the fact that cryptocurrencies were issued by unregulated and unlicensed entities made it contrary to the mandate of the Bank, as enshrined in the CBN Act (2007) declaring the Bank as the issuer of legal tender in Nigeria.
Emefiele, who also differentiated between digital currencies, which Central Banks can issue and cryptocurrencies issued by unknown and unregulated entities, stressed that the anonymity, obscurity and concealment of cryptocurrencies made it suitable for those who indulge in illegal activities such as money laundering, terrorism financing, purchase of small arms and light weapons and tax evasion.
Citing instances of investigated criminal activities that had been linked to cryptocurrencies, the CBN governor declared that “Cryptocurrency is not legitimate money” because it is not created or backed by any Central Bank.
“Cryptocurrency has no place in our monetary system at this time and cryptocurrency transactions should not be carried out through the Nigerian banking system” he stressed
The ban on cryptocurrency transactions was also backed by the Securities and Exchange Commission SEC, the Nigeria Financial Intelligence Unit NFIU as well as the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission ICPC.
The CBN had on February 5, directed banks to close accounts of persons or entities involved in cryptocurrency transactions within their systems. Read here.
- Even Give Away I No Do Again – BBNaija Star Khloe Snaps At Online BeggarsIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentFebruary 28, 2021Former BBNaija star and brand influencer, Khloe has had it to the brim and can no longer tolerate it as she takes to her Snapchat to call out all ...[Read more]
- Lady called out for allegedly receiving fund from different men for 1 childIn Viral NewsFebruary 28, 2021Video vixen, Lyn Magodo a.k.a Lady Storm has been called out for allegedly receiving child upkeep fund from different men. Reports gathered that the ...[Read more]
- Kano govt intercepts suspected fake drugs worth N1mIn Local NewsFebruary 28, 2021Over a hundred cultists have denounced cultism in Orimekpang community, Boki LGA of Cross River State Speaking at the denunciation occasion, the ...[Read more]
- Police arrest 40 suspects over criminal offences in FCTIn Local NewsFebruary 28, 2021Over a hundred cultists have denounced cultism in Orimekpang community, Boki LGA of Cross River State Speaking at the denunciation occasion, the ...[Read more]
- Sunday Igboho Meets OPC Leader Chief Gani AdamsIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsFebruary 28, 2021Some photos have hit the internet which showed the Yoruba activist, Ogbeni Sunday Adeyemo aka Sunday Igboho meeting the leader of the Oduaa People’s ...[Read more]
- College students are turning to nonprofits for valuable intern opportunitiesIn LifestyleFebruary 28, 2021When her teaching assistant internship got scrapped overnight last summer, Pace University student Vicky Trieu, 22, of Secaucus, NJ, didn’t miss a ...[Read more]
- Video of Mya Yafai having fun with Davido and his crewIn Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Mya Yafai, lady who Davido was spotted holding hands with at St. Maarten in United States, recently shared a video having fun with Davido and his ...[Read more]
- AUDIO: 25-year-old nurse gunned down in robbery; 2 others in critical conditionIn GhanaFebruary 28, 2021A 25-year-old nurse (Name withheld) has been killed in a robbery at attack at a village near Wenchi in the Bono Region, MyNewsGh.com has confirmed. ...[Read more]
- Over one hundred cultists in Cross River community denounce cultismIn Local NewsFebruary 28, 2021Anambra State Police Command has recovered a gun stolen from one of its police stations which was attacked during the End SARS protest. The command ...[Read more]
- Can a job application fail due to bad grammar or spelling errors?In LifestyleFebruary 28, 2021If I find typos in a letter or resume, I immediately disqualify the candidate from consideration. Is that too harsh? If you can’t write a typo-free ...[Read more]