The Comptroller General of Customs (CGC) Strike Force Team, Zone A has generated N1.1 billion through the raising of Debit Note, the Assistant Comptroller of the team, Abba Kakudi said on Monday.
Kakudi said in Lagos on Monday that the amount was realised from Jan. 1 to June 11.
He said that they were able to bring in the amount in spite of the COVID-19 pandemic which affected the movement of goods.
The official gave the breakdown of the monthly debit note paid as: January – N142,121,156, February – N275,644,911, March – N191,594,005, April – 282,288,359, May – N120,061,743 and June 1 to June 11 – N92,994,353, all totalling N1,104,704,527.
Kakudi said that in the fight against smuggling, the team’s operations led to seizures with a Duty Paid Value of N46, 596, 300.
He listed the seized items as: 1, 000 bags of 50kg rice with a DPV of N13, 252,300; 10 used vehicles (Tokunbo) with DPV of N31, 184, 000 and 30 bales of second hand clothing with a DPV of N2, 160, 000.
“In the last two weeks or thereabouts, we have given a hard chase to smugglers who were desperate to unleash economic dislocation in the country and our efforts have continued to yield results with the renewed vigour of our men.
“It is important to say that in order to help the economy to grow, there is no need to import what we can produce here in Nigeria or bring in prohibited items.
“It is worthy to note that the Federal Government has encouraged a lot of rice farmers in the country, where local rice is produced in large quantity and even healthier than foreign rice.
“Traders should, therefore, avail themselves of this opportunity to market our indigenous products in such a way as to grow the economy maximally,” he said.
Kakudi said that in a bid to police the smugglers from bringing in prohibited products, the team faced a lot of dangers.
He said that sometimes, the smugglers were armed with machetes, charms and other dangerous weapons.
“This ugly situation is experienced more around the creeks where inhabitants mobilise some of their underaged people against us, to the extent of calling us names as well as some stoning us, all in a bid to make/secure seizures,” the official said.
He appealed to those who believed that smuggling was very lucrative to desist from it as the task force was always a step above them in all their plots and strategies.
“A smuggler is an economic saboteur and such trade cannot be the best means of livelihood due to inherent dangers as well as losses to those behind it.
“Above all, smuggling ruins the economy of any nation,” he said.
Kakudi said that a lot of incentives had been provided by the Federal Government to revamp the economy and should be allowed to have the desired effect.
He urged importers to stop aiding and abetting the ugly trade because a vibrant economy meant stability for the nation and its citizens.
Kakudi appreciated the Comptroller General, Col. Hameed Ali (Rtd) for his support, especially in the provision of l.
Source: Newzandar News News
- 2-Years After D’Banj And Wife Son Drowned Inside A Swimming Pool; Recent Photos Of The Coupe Pop UpIn Celebrity NewsNovember 27, 2020D’banj and his beautiful wife, Lineo Didi, have been through very hard times in the past. He is one of the greatest musicians Nigeria has ever had. ...[Read more]
- “Always Do You” – Singer, Mayorkun recounts how he went from being a Banker to becoming a Superstar (Video)In Celebrity NewsNovember 27, 2020Popular Nigerian singer, Adewale Mayowa Emmanuel, better known as Mayorkun has shared his grass to grace story as he recounts how he ditched a ...[Read more]
- Biography, Career, Family, Awards And Net Worth Of Nuella NjubigboIn BiographyNovember 27, 2020Nuella Njubigbo is a popular Nollywood actress, scriptwriter, model and a television personality.Nuella Njubigbo was born on 18th March 1984 in ...[Read more]
- NYC SantaCon is canceled due to COVID-19 pandemicIn USANovember 27, 2020Ho Ho No! The annual SantaCon pub crawl has been canceled this year in the Big Apple due the COVID-19 pandemic. Organizers announced the news on the ...[Read more]
- Biography, Family, Early Life, Education, Career And Net Worth Of Ime Bishop UmohIn BiographyNovember 27, 2020Ime Bishop Umoh popularly known as Okon Lagos is a Nigerian based actor and comedian,He was born on the 15th of July, 1981.He is an Ibibio, and is ...[Read more]
- “Are you mad? I’m not scared of you, ingrate” – Kiddwaya and his alleged cousin blast each otherIn BBNaijaNovember 27, 2020Big Brother Naija lockdown housemate, Terseer Waya popularly known as Kiddwaya has been blasted on Twitter by a lady who claims to be his relative. ...[Read more]
- Massive sinkhole swallows vehicle in NYCIn USANovember 27, 2020An unoccupied orange SUV was found swallowed by a sinkhole in Queens early Thursday morning. The vehicle, a Toyota RAV4, was discovered nose-down in ...[Read more]
- Woman dead, driver critical after smashing into Buffalo monumentIn USANovember 27, 2020A speeding minivan that crashed in downtown Buffalo killed a woman and left the driver in critical condition on Thanksgiving Day, authorities said. ...[Read more]
- Tonto Dikeh’s Ex Set To Marry Daughter Of Kogi West SenatorIn Celebrity NewsNovember 27, 2020Politics, marriage and relationships are among one of the few things that cannot be predicted. Nigerian would be witnessing the biggest marriage as ...[Read more]
- Tonto Dikeh’s Ex Set To Marry Daughter Of Kogi West SenatorIn Celebrity NewsNovember 27, 2020Politics, marriage and relationships are among one of the few things that cannot be predicted. – Advertisement – It is, therefore, no ...[Read more]