Dr. Anthony Fauci, who heads the National Institutes of Health, had previously backed funding for a controversial lab in Wuhan, China that has been studying the coronavirus in bats, reports said.
Fauci’s National Institutes of Health had shelled out a total of $7.4 million to the Wuhan Institute of Virology lab — which has become the center of theories about the origin of Covid-19, according to Newsweek.
The NIH and the Trump administration had shut down all funding to the lab last week, Politico reported on Monday.
“At this time, NIH does not believe that the current project outcomes align with the program goals and agency priorities,” a deputy director at the agency wrote in a letter obtained by the newspaper.
There is “increasing confidence” among officials that the Wuhan Institute of Virology lab is the original site of the virus after. A report by Fox News said embassy officials warned in January 2018 about inadequate safety there.
NIH defended their funding of the lab in a statement to Newsweek.
“Most emerging human viruses come from wildlife, and these represent a significant threat to public health and biosecurity in the US and globally,” the statement read.
“Scientific research indicates that there is no evidence that suggests the virus was created in a laboratory.”
- Dr. Fauci backed funding for controversial Wuhan lab studying origin of coronavirus
- China backs WHO investigation into origin of Coronavirus after over 120 countries join Trump’s call for an investigation into its origin
- Exposed: Chinese lab investigated by WHO over origin of covid-19, designed secret cages to breed bats for coronavirus experiments
- Chinese lab investigated by WHO over origin of covid-19, designed secret cages to breed bats for coronavirus experiments
- No African on WHO team in Wuhan to probe COVID-19 origin
- Data may show Wuhan lab examining coronavirus was shut down in October
- Wuhan lab admits to having three live strains of bat coronavirus on site
- Pompeo says ‘enormous evidence’ shows coronavirus began in Wuhan lab
- US has not confirmed Wuhan lab released coronavirus: Mike Pompeo