A driver in Michigan was clocked barreling down a highway at 180 mph – more than double the posted speed limit, state police said.
The speed demon in a black 2016 Dodge was nabbed in the 70 mph zone on I-75 in Monroe County just before midnight on April 19, WJBK reports.
As some drivers in the state are taking advantage of near-empty roadways due to ongoing stay-at-home orders, troopers have noticed an uptick in speeding, Lt. Bran Oleksyk told the station.
Michigan State Police tweeted a photo of the citation given to the driver on Tuesday, but the post was later taken down.
“MSP has seen an increase with high speeds on roadways during this pandemic,” the tweet read. “This person was cited for doing 180 mph in a 70 mph zone. MSP wants people to know, just because there is less traffic on the roads & warmer weather, there are no excuses for speeding.”
The tweet was deleted after another user noticed that the man’s name was still visible on the ticket. The man said he had been racing with another driver, a screenshot of the ticket shows.
“My fault,” the man told officers, according to the ticket’s comment section. “I was speeding with another vehicle. Sorry.”
While the exact model of the Dodge wasn’t specified, just two of the company’s factory-produced cars could reach speeds of 180 mph: the 707-horsepower Charger SRT Hellcat and the Challenger SRT Hellcat, Motor Trend reports.
- Tesla driver busted for taking a nap — while going 93 mph on autopilot
- Trucker fends off a venomous snake at 70 mph on busy highway
- Potty training: Driver takes toilet break as bullet train hits 90 mph
- Florida woman tops 150 mph on motorcycle during police chase
- Canadian teen busted going almost 200 mph in dad’s car
- Delivery driver caught touching public surfaces after licking his hands during Coronavirus lockdown (Video)
- “You No Go Need Interim Driver” – Fans React After Davido Announced He Was Going to Be the Best Man to His Driver
- Turtle crashes through Georgia driver’s windshield on highway
- Confused driver barrels the wrong way down the highway
- Black driver yells at Black Lives Matter protesters blocking Texas highway