The Ebonyi State Police Command yesterday confirmed the recovery of 14 dead bodies from the Ebonyi river.
The command, in a statement, signed and forwarded to Newzandar News by the Police public relations officer, DSP Loveth Odah in Abakaliki, said the victims were in a 608 coaster bus with Reg no. UKP 78 XA, which plunged into the Ebonyi river while returning from a burial of a pastor at Nguzu Edda in Afikpo South LGA of the State.
The statement reads in part: “An Update of the ugly incident that occurred at Ivo river in Ivo LGA of the State yesterday, among the five victims rescued is the driver of the said 608 coaster bus with Reg no. UKP 78 XA, Mr Nwaonu Chinedu a native of IKWO LGA of the State.
“He is responding to treatment alongside three others as one yet to be identified female victim was confirmed dead by a medical Doctor on arrival at Dennis Hospital Akaeke in the Area.
“The driver narrated that he conveyed 32 members of the Christ Peculiar Church of Nigeria Enugu State branch to attend a burial ceremony at Nguzu Edda in Afikpo South LGA of the State.
“14 corpses have been recovered (7 female and 7 male) together with the 608 Vehicle. The corpses have been deposited at Martha Memorial hospital mortuary AFIKPO for preservation.
“The Executive Governor of Ebonyi State visited the scene of the incident with the Commissioner, Police Ebonyi State and described the incident as very unfortunate” the statement noted.
- Police announce recovery of more 23 dead bodies of victims of Ebonyi river accident
- Bodies are exhumed in Brazil to make way for more dead bodies as the country’s Coronavirus death toll surpasses that of the UK making it the second highest in the world (photos)
- 14 bodies recovered so far as bus conveying church members to a burial plunges into a river in Ebonyi (photos/video)
- Police recover 14 bodies from Benue River boat mishap
- 14 bodies now recovered from River Benue after boat mishap ― Police
- Two bodies recovered from the Hudson River near Jersey City on July 4
- 14 bodies recovered from River Benue after sunday’s boat mishap
- Congo-Kinshasa: Ensure Credible Probe of Bodies Found in River
- Ebonyi State Governor, Gov Umahi Confirms The Murder Of 15 People By Herdsmen In Ebonyi Communities
- Police exhumes four dead bodies from septic tank, arrests suspect in Rivers