An entire California school board on Monday, February 22, resigned after making disparaging remarks about parents in an online meeting that was unknowingly being publicly live-streamed.
“They want to pick on us because they want their babysitters back,” one member said about parents during the meeting on Friday last week.
Another board member said that parents wanted their children out of the house so they could take drugs during the day.
The board members however did not know that parents had been joining the public call as it progressed.
“Uh-oh,” said board member Kim Beede when she was told, several minutes into the discussion that it was now public.
The board members upon noticing the call was public then immediately put the call into private status.
But an NBC reporter Bigad Shaban tweeted snippets of the video afterwards.
In the clip, School Board President Lisa Brizendine criticized parents who continue to be frustrated by the district’s Covid-related school closures:
“They want to pick on us because they want their babysitters back.”
Another member, Richie Masadas, joked that some parents wanted to take drugs while their children were not at home.
“My brother had a delivery service for medical marijuana – his clientele were parents with their kids in school,” he said, to laughter from the others.
Ms Beede then swore while joking about attacking one parent who had criticised her online – but not before asking “are we alone?” and erroneously being told they were.
The board members then criticised parents who wrote comments and complaints online.
“It’s easy to hide behind their screen and put a comment down, but when you’re face-to-face with people, it’s a whole different ball game,” Mr Masadas said.
Over the weekend, more than 7,000 people signed a petition calling for resignations of all the board members due to “egregious behaviour”.
The board have now released a letter to parents and the school board’s website now lists all positions as vacant, with members of the county board temporarily stepping in to fill the gap.
“We deeply regret the comments that were made in the meeting of the Board of Education earlier this week,” it said.
“It is our responsibility to model the conduct that we expect of our students and staff, and it is our obligation to build confidence in District leadership; our comments failed you in both regards, and for this we offer our sincerest apology.
“Please do not let our failure in judgement cast a shadow on the exceptional work that our teachers, administrators and hard-working employees are doing,”
Watch the video below.
1) When officials at the Oakley Union Elem. School district thought they were meeting privately, they used profanity to insult & threaten parents upset by the district’s prolonged school closures.
Here’s when they realized their mtg was being broadcast to the public.
“Uh, oh.” pic.twitter.com/OXbHWq9FMy
— Bigad Shaban (@BigadShaban) February 18, 2021
- Walk Into The Month Flexing And Pressing Necks In These Gorgeous Aso Ebi StylesIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentMarch 1, 2021Welcome to the month of March our amazing and fabulous KOKOnstas we hope you are excited to take on the new month and the opportunities that it comes ...[Read more]
- Check Out These 7 Gorgeous Ankara Puff Sleeve StylesIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentMarch 1, 2021Step out into your greatness and make a statement with any of the gorgeous Ankara Puff sleeve styles in these articles. Leave anybody and everybody ...[Read more]
- “I will be a Billionaire before 40” – OAP, Toke MakinwaIn Celebrity NewsMarch 1, 2021On-air personality, Toke Makinwa in a recent tweet has asserted that she must attain billionaire status before she turns 40. Toke Makinwa, with much ...[Read more]
- Upper West Side hoarder turns street into ‘disgusting’ junkyard, residents sayIn USAMarch 1, 2021Chairs, bedspreads, books and other mounds of trash have been piling up — without intervention from the city — for months near 77th ...[Read more]
- Ex-Kebbi Senator, Umaru Tafidan Argungu arraigned for N419m alleged fraud in SokotoÂ In NewsMarch 1, 2021Umaru Tafidan Argungu, a former Nigerian senator has been arraigned for N419m alleged fraud in Sokoto.The 61-year-old was arraigned on Monday, March ...[Read more]
- A lewk!!!!!Toke Makinwa Ate Up This All Black Look And We Love ItIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentMarch 1, 2021Media personality Toke Makinwa is the ultimate style girl and we are willing to take style lessons from her. The OAP walked into the new month ...[Read more]
- Dad makes baby beer bong to help daughter drink more formulaIn LifestyleMarch 1, 2021This dad is doing his best to help his baby gain the freshman 15. Credit: NYPOST...[Read more]
- Foreign journalists in China see ‘rapid decline in media freedom’In LifestyleMarch 1, 2021BEIJING – China used coronavirus prevention measures, intimidation and visa curbs to limit foreign reporting in 2020, ushering in a “rapid decline in ...[Read more]
- Beauty DIY: 7 Quick Ways To Get Rid Of Dark Inner ThighIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentMarch 1, 2021Having dark inner thighs is not a bad thing or a problem, but it is something that can cause immense embarrassment. Some people think it is natural ...[Read more]
- Former Barcelona President Josep Maria Bartomeu Arrested After Raid At The ClubIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentMarch 1, 2021There’s been a raid at the headquarter of FC Barcelona on Monday, with some high profile arrest taking place, this raid and arrests is coming just ...[Read more]