Estonian Prime Minister, Juri Ratas has announced his resignation from his position amid corruption allegations against his political party.
Estonia’s Public Prosecutor alleged that members of the Centre Party, including Secretary-General Mihhail Korb, had engaged in ‘influence-peddling related to a real estate development in Porto Franco.’
Estonian businessman Hillar Teder had agreed to donate up to one million euros to the Centre Party in exchange for the right to build a car park in favour of the real estate development, the public prosecutor’s office alleges.
“The evidence collected from the middle of January last year to the present refers to various crimes, on the basis of which public proceedings were initiated against people suspected of a crime today,” Chief Public Prosecutor Taavi Pern said in a post on Facebook, laying out other money-laundering allegations as well.
“Today, I made a decision to resign as prime minister,” Ratas, who is the chairman of the party, said in a Facebook post on Wednesday following an hours-long party board meeting.
Ratas said he hoped his resignation would help “shed light on all the circumstances and reach clarity.”
The 42-year-old insisted that he had not made “any malicious or knowingly wrong decisions.”
“As head of government, I did not feel in the case of Porto Franco that any minister or party had tried to sway the government’s decisions in an illegal direction,” Ratas said in his statement.
Estonian President Kersti Kaljulaid now has 14 days to name a new prime minister who would then have to be approved by parliament.
- ‘We Are Dating’ – Vee Finally Confirms (Video)In EntertainmentJanuary 24, 2021‘We Are Dating’ – Vee Finally Confirms. The former BBNaija housemate, Victoria Adeyele simply known as Vee, has finally confirmed that she is in a ...[Read more]
- What is Amotekun, Naira Marley Reacts over Marlians ArrestIn EntertainmentJanuary 24, 2021What is Amotekun, Naira Marley Reacts over Marlians Arrest. The video making rounds on social media is showing some school children arrested by ...[Read more]
- NYC nursing home refused to give rehab patients COVID-19 vaccine: polIn USAJanuary 24, 2021A Queens nursing home in the midst of a COVID-19 outbreak withheld potentially lifesaving vaccines from rehab patients, leaving a city councilman’s ...[Read more]
- YouTuber WhistlinDiesel Accidentally Shoots Himself In The HeadIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, Nigeria NewsJanuary 24, 2021YouTuber WhistlinDiesel has had a lucky escape after being accidentally shot in the head by a ricocheting bullet. The 22-year-old was testing out a ...[Read more]
- A Woman’s Wedding Day Isn’t The Happiest Day Of Her Life – EtinosaIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, Nigeria NewsJanuary 24, 2021Nollywood actress, Etinosa Idemudia has stated that the happiest day of her life was when she had her daughter Ofure Christabel. The ...[Read more]
- NYC neighborhood fights to save Underground Railroad site from wrecking ballIn USAJanuary 24, 2021Clad in fake stoneface and mostly shorn of its old clapboard and ornament, the dingy, two story house at Riverside Drive and 159th Street isn’t much ...[Read more]
- NYC does too little COVID-19 testing to open all schools: teachers’ unionIn USAJanuary 24, 2021The city will not be able to open its middle- and high schools because it lacks sufficient ability to test students and staff for COVID-19, the ...[Read more]
- Omoo I’m So Angry, Did You See The Slap?? Naira Marley Reacts After Amotekun Arrested School Children For Modelling Themselves As HimIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, Nigeria NewsJanuary 24, 2021Singer Naira Marley has reacted to some school children being arrested by Amotekun operatives for modelling themselves as him. In the video ...[Read more]
- Family of alleged serial killer victim plans to sue NYCHA for $25MIn USAJanuary 24, 2021The family of a Brooklyn woman allegedly brutally strangled by an accused serial killer neighbor plans to sue the New York Housing Authority for $25 ...[Read more]
- AOC cheers wage increase for Teamsters at NYC produce marketIn USAJanuary 24, 2021Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez celebrated a wage increase for Teamsters workers at a Bronx produce market, following a week-long strike that was set ...[Read more]