Facebook has reportedly banned its employees from using political images as their profile pictures on its internal social network.
The policy is one of several new rules Facebook instituted this week governing how staffers communicate on its Workplace platform amid concerns that discussions there were getting too political, according to reports.
Facebook workers will now be required to use a photo of themselves or their initials as their Workplace profile picture, CNBC reported Thursday. That reportedly means they can no longer display images to express support for political candidates or causes such as the Black Lives Matter movement.
Staffers will still be able to modify their profile pictures with pre-approved frames, including a Black Lives Matter-themed one, according to The Wall Street Journal.
Facebook will also require employees to moderate Workplace discussion groups dedicated to politics, social issues and other topics unrelated to their jobs, the paper reported. And the Silicon Valley giant has expanded its definition of harassment to ban “insensitive, degrading or derogatory” communications that could create a hostile work environment for protected groups, according to CNBC.
Facebook did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday. But company spokesman Joe Osborne told outlets the changes are meant to “make sure our people have both voice, and choice.”
“We deeply value expression, open discussion, and a company culture built on respect and inclusivity,” Osborne told CNBC in a statement. “What we have heard from our employees is that they want the option to join debates on social and political issues rather than see them unexpectedly in their work feed.”
Facebook’s move to control contentious discussions followed a series of leaks from within the social-media titan. Reports in BuzzFeed News and The Verge have detailed Facebook staffers’ criticisms of CEO Mark Zuckerberg and the company’s handling of President Trump’s inflammatory posts, among other issues.
Facebook is also under pressure to crack down on disinformation on its public platform ahead of the November presidential election. The company announced a slate of new initiatives earlier this month aimed at doing that, including a ban on new political ads in the week before Election Day.
New York Post
- Watch a new leaked video at Lekki toll gate shootingOctober 25, 2020A full video of what transpired at the Lekki Toll Gate shooting incident has surfaced online. Recall that, it was Dj Switch who first leaked the live ...[Read more]
- Bola Tinubu denies leaving the Country, See full details hereOctober 25, 2020Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has debunked claims of leaving to a different country for refuge when the EndSARS protest turned bloody. In his speech amid an ...[Read more]
- Victor Moses dedicate goal to #EndSARS protestOctober 25, 2020Victor Moses has dedicated his first Spartak Moscow goal to Nigerians. Victor Moses Victor Moses netted in the 33rd minute in Spartak Moscow’s 1-3 ...[Read more]
- Tinubu denies his son being kidnappedOctober 25, 2020Bola Ahmed Tinubu has finally refuted claims that his son identified as Seyi Tinubu was kidnapped. The National Leader of the All Progressive ...[Read more]
- Troll blast Wizkid on Twitter, See whyOctober 25, 2020Fans of Wizkid have taken to their social media platforms specifically Twitter, to troll Wizkid after a video of him hiding from the camera at Jada ...[Read more]
- American Singer Alicia Keys Joins #EndSARS ProtestOctober 24, 2020Popular American singer, Alicia Keys has loaned a voice on the side of the #EndSARS peaceful protest against police brutality in Nigeria. This is ...[Read more]
- I didn’t go nowhere, I’m still Jagaban – Tinubu says as he visits Gov. Sanwo-OluOctober 24, 2020All Progressives Congress chieftain, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has uncovered he didn’t escape in the midst of emergencies that followed the Tuesday ...[Read more]
- #EndSARS: Angry Nigerian Youths Storms Tinubu’s Residence In London (+Video)October 24, 2020#EndSARs Nigerian protesters in the UK have raged the home of the APC National Leader, Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Duchess Mews, London. This is coming ...[Read more]
- Moment Air Force Intervened And Slammed Policemen For Shooting Civilians (+Video)October 24, 2020Newzandar News has captured moment soldiers of the Nigeria Air Force interceded and hammered some cops for taking shots at civilians. The episode ...[Read more]
- El Clasico: Zidane reveals why Barcelona lost 3-1 to Real Madrid at Camp NouOctober 24, 2020Real Madrid boss, Zinedine Zidane, has revealed that Barcelona lost 3-1 against his team because his players defended compactly and attacked with ...[Read more]