Report has it that a 47-year-old suspected fake lawyer, Tajudeen Idris, has been arrested by men of the Ogun State Police Command for posing as a legal practitioner.
The suspect was arrested on Friday at Magistrates’ Court 6 in the Ifo Local Government Area of the state.
Idris was said to have appeared before Chief Magistrate I. A. Arogundade in a civil case between one Ifeanyi Chuckwu and Ayo Itori.
He allegedly claimed to be a counsel from Tajudeen O. Idris & Co. Chambers and was representing one of the parties.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, disclosed this in a statement on Monday.
Oyeyemi said the suspected fake lawyer’s conduct and his manner of presentation before the chief magistrate aroused suspicion about his qualification as a lawyer.
The PPRO said the suspect’s action prompted the chief magistrate to ask him for the year he was called to the bar, which he claimed to be 2009.
“But further enquiry revealed that his name was nowhere to be found among those called to the bar in 2009, hence the police were invited.
“Consequently, the DPO, Ifo Division, CSP Adeniyi Adekunle, detailed his operatives to the scene, where the suspect was apprehended and he is currently undergoing investigation.”
The PPRO said the Commissioner of Police, Edward Ajogun, had expressed concern over the increase in the number of fake lawyers swindling people of their hard-earned money.
Ajogun recalled that not less than five cases of fake lawyers had been reported since his assumption of office less than two months ago.
According to the PPRO, on August 12, 2020, 56-year-old Sylvester Ogbagu was arrested at Sagamu while parading himself as a lawyer; while one Adedeji Ebenezer was also apprehended on the court premises at Itori on August 5, 2020, while appearing for a client; he was tried and subsequently sentenced to three years’ imprisonment.
“Another suspected fake lawyer, Elijah Ayodeji Ojo, was also arrested at the Ajuwon Police Station on the 28th of June, when he came to solicit a so-called client, who was having a criminal matter with the police.
“Likewise, one Lawrence Oyedunu was arrested in Sango Ota while presenting himself as a counsel to a suspect.
“The CP therefore called on the state branch of the NBA to put necessary machinery in motion to check the activities of these fraudulent people.
“He also appealed to those who wish to be lawyers to take a cue from the determined effort of a traditional ruler in the state.
“The Towulade of Akinale, who at 75 years of age, still endeavoured to go to the Law School because of his interest in the legal profession rather than impersonating.”
Credit: Punch Newz.
- 19-year-old Girl aAddicted To Married Men, Shares Her Sad StoryOctober 27, 2020A 19-year-old young lady who is thinking that its hard to oppose wedded men due to the endowments she gets from them, has shouted out for help. The ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Rapper, Falz Celebrates his 30th Birthday Today (+Photo)October 27, 2020Nigerian rapper, Folarin Falana prevalently realized as Falz is celebrating his 30th birthday celebration today, October 27th. The artist shared the ...[Read more]
- Ebonyi State Police Arrest Couple Who Chained 8-year-old House helpOctober 27, 2020Agents of the Ebonyi State Police Command have captured a couple, Philip and Agatha Iboko, for supposedly tormenting their eight-year-old househelp, ...[Read more]
- The 9 Brigade Of The Nigerian Army Arrest Corporal Who Flogged A Lady At ATM Stand In LagosOctober 27, 2020The 9 Brigade of the Nigerian Army has captured a Corporal, Omoh F, who was caught on video beating a lady at an Oshodi part of the United Bank of ...[Read more]
- Residents Cart Away #Covid-19 Palliatives In Abuja (+Video)October 27, 2020A few occupants of Abuja who raged a stockroom in the Gwagwalada Area gathering in the Federal Capital Territory on Monday October 26, to truck ...[Read more]
- EndSARS: Let’s Continue To Spread Awareness – DJ CuppyOctober 26, 2020DJ Cuppy has taken to online media to encourage Nigerians to proceed with the protest against SARS and police brutality in the nation. As per her, ...[Read more]
- #EndSARS: Famous Nigerian comedian AY Blasts Those Asking Why No Celebrity Died During ProtestsOctober 26, 2020Famous Nigerian comedian, Ayo Makun better known as AY, has gone hard on individuals inquiring as to why no big name died during #EndSARS fights held ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Man Reveals How An Iron protector Saved His Shop From Being Looted In Imo State (+Photos)October 26, 2020A Nigerian businessman, Chima Smart Nwaneri, has taken to Twitter to uncover how an iron defender kept his shop from being burglarized in Owerri, Imo ...[Read more]
- Popular Nigerian Cross-dresser, Bobrisky Reveals Two Things He Can Never DoOctober 26, 2020Nigerian cross-dresser, Okuneye Idris better realized as Bobrisky has uncovered two things he can never be seen doing. He made this disclosure in ...[Read more]
- Chief of Army Staff Responds To Travel Ban calls By International BodiesOctober 26, 2020Tukur Buratai, Chief of Army Staff, has responded to calls by International bodies requiring a movement boycott to be put on some military officials ...[Read more]