Oyo State chapter of Socialist Party of Nigeria (SPN) has said that Monday’s indefinite strike embarked upon by workers at the Polytechnic Ibadan has exposed the deceit in the government of Engineer Seyi Makinde.
SPN made this disclosure via a statement made available to DAILY POST on Tuesday.
The party in the statement signed by its Secretary, Comrade Ayodeji Adigun called on leadership of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) in the state to support the striking workers at the institution.
DAILY POST recalls that both academic and non-academic staff in the institution had yesterday declared an indefinite strike.
Our correspondent gathered that the strike action follows the non-implementation of the new minimum wage.
But, SPN in its reaction, maintained that the ongoing strike has no doubt further showed that the claim of the implementation of the new minimum wage by Engr Seyi Makinde-led government for all categories of civil servants in the State is deceptive.
The party also expressed its support to the ongoing indefinite strike.
“The strike is in connection with the continued failure of the Engr Seyi Makinde-led government in the state to commence the implementation of the new minimum wage of N30, 000 for workers in the institution, more than a year after it was signed into law by the Buhari-led federal government. Another issue involved in the strike is the overreaching and unlawful activities of the consultant imposed on the institution by the state government.
“SPN decries this kind of repressive response from the Engr Seyi Makinde-led government that often claims to be a people-friendly government, therefore demands an immediate withdrawal of the men of Operation Burst so as to avert unnecessary complications and escalation of the issue.
“Given this background, SPN calls on the Engr Seyi Makinde-led government to stop all its gimmick to divide and weaken workers’ resolve and accedes to all of their demands without further delay. At the same time, SPN urges the striking workers to remain resolute and undaunted as we strongly believe that all of their demands are achievable only if they can remain determined and steadfast.
“Beyond this is to note that, the ongoing strike of the polytechnic Ibadan workers have no doubt further showed that the claim of the implementation of the new minimum wage by Engr Seyi Makinde-led government for all categories of civil servants in the State is not only sectional but also deceptive.
“This has again underscored the SPN standpoint that most of the so-called achievements of Engr Seyi Makinde-led government are largely for the purpose of grandstanding and propaganda!”
- His status at Chelsea is undiminished – Abramovich breaks silence on Lampard’s sackIn SportsJanuary 25, 2021Chelsea owner, Roman Abramovich, has said Frank Lampard’s status as a Chelsea legend “remains undiminished” despite his sack. In a statement on the ...[Read more]
- New bill would decriminalize sex work in New YorkIn USAJanuary 25, 2021A new bill that would decriminalize sex work in New York — while still holding pimps and buyers accountable — is set to be introduced in the state ...[Read more]
- Uganda Court Orders End To Bobi Wine House ArrestIn Celebrity News, Nigeria News, World NewsJanuary 25, 2021Uganda’s High Court on Monday ordered security forces to end their confinement of presidential election runner-up Bobi Wine. The presidential ...[Read more]
- SAD NEWS: Actor Eddie Nartey’s Wife Dies 2 Years After Their MarriageIn EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021Actor Eddie Nartey‘s wife, Vida Obenewah Nartey, is dead just two years after their marriage. Teary Eddie Nartey announced the death of his wife in ...[Read more]
- BREAKING: Gunmen shoot soldier dead, cart away rifle in DeltaIn Local NewsJanuary 25, 2021A 48-year-old man, Akeem Bello, on Monday appeared before an Ikorodu Magistrates’ Court for allegedly causing the death of two persons through ...[Read more]
- Recap: Top Events That Took Place During The WekeendIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, Nigeria NewsJanuary 25, 2021<!– Recap: Top Events That Took Place During The Weekend The past weekend was one full of many activities for the Nigerian community, as ...[Read more]
- “I don’t know how I am going to take care of her” – 22-year-old woman confesses to selling her day-old baby to pastor for N10,000 in OndoIn NewsJanuary 25, 2021The men of the Amotekun Corps in Ondo West Local Government area of Ondo State have arrested a 22-year-old woman, Seun Oladayo for selling her ...[Read more]
- Man in court over alleged manslaughter in LagosIn Local NewsJanuary 25, 2021A total of 176 persons have died in various road crashes that occurred across Ogun State between January and December 2020, DAILY POST learnt. The ...[Read more]
- Mzbel’s Beljam Records Introduces Signee Heartman With First Single Titled ‘For You’In Entertainment, MzbelJanuary 25, 2021On Friday, BelJam Records’ CEO Belinda Nana Ekua Amoah (Mzbel) outdoors her new signee Heartman Lali Ezuh (HeartMan) at an unveiling meeting with the ...[Read more]
- Zamfara : 8,000 civil servants petition NLC over pension refundIn NewsJanuary 25, 2021Nigerian Government through the National Information Technology Development Agency, NITDA, has reminded all data controllers and processors in the ...[Read more]