The Ghana National Fishermen Council (GNFC) has backed the nomination of Minister-designate for Fisheries and Aquaculture Development, Hon. Mavis Hawa Koomson following the media uproar which greeted her recent vetting in Parliament.
According to the association, the hullabaloo that was generated on traditional and social media following her appearance before Parliament’s ministerial vetting committee was unnecessary and a distraction from pertinent issues that had arisen during the exercise.
A media statement released on February 23, 2021 by the association, reads in part: “As fishermen, our key concern and expectation is how the Minister-designate intends to tackle niggling issues like Seiko, light fishing, the influx of foreign fishing vessels and the need for a foreign vessel to conduct scientific research among others.”
The statement further reads: “We share the sentiments of several well-meaning Ghanaians who have since the fallout of the vetting exercise, opined that the mastery of English language is not necessarily a sign of competence. The Honourable Minister-designate will definitely work with technocrats and industry players who equally have the progress of the sector at heart.
Accordingly, we encourage the media to set the agenda for a liberal conversation on how promises elucidated in the manifesto of the current government will be executed vis-a-vis the content of the vetting exercise.”
It will be recalled that on 18th February, 2021, the Minister-designate for Fisheries and Aquaculture Development, Hon. Mavis Hawa Koomson took her turn at the parliamentary ministerial vetting committee. Following the exercise, the media space became awash with commentary on her perceived lack of proficiency in the use of the English language.
- More Americans than ever identify as LGBTQ, poll findsIn LifestyleFebruary 24, 2021America is record-breakingly gay, a new survey has found. Gallup’s latest update on the percentages of US adults who identify as lesbian, gay, ...[Read more]
- Divorced man ordered to pay back ex-wife $7,700 for houseworkIn LifestyleFebruary 24, 2021She really cleaned up. A Chinese divorce court has ordered a man to pay $7,700 to his ex-wife for domestic services she rendered during their ...[Read more]
- GOP House members want Cuomo to testify about COVID nursing home deathsIn USAFebruary 24, 2021Republican members of a House of Representatives committee want to subpoena Gov. Andrew Cuomo to testify about the true number of nursing home ...[Read more]
- NYPD, DOT slam proposal to shift authority over crash investigationsIn USAFebruary 24, 2021City council members want to yank crash investigations from the NYPD and put them under the authority of the Department of Transportation — but both ...[Read more]
- Two more mass COVID-19 vaccination sites open in NYCIn USAFebruary 24, 2021Two more mass COVID-19 vaccination sites opened in New York City Wednesday — promising to deliver more doses than any other in the Big Apple. The ...[Read more]
- Sweet’N Low magnate Donald Tober left wife $30M fortune, will showsIn USAFebruary 24, 2021Sweet’N Low magnate Donald Tober, who committed suicide in Manhattan last month, left his wife a $30 million fortune, new court paper show. The ...[Read more]
- ‘Go somewhere else’: Florida officials crack down on spring break amid COVID pandemicIn LifestyleFebruary 24, 2021Florida officials are cracking down on spring-breakers hoping to flee to the state’s beaches amid the pandemic. New restrictions ...[Read more]
- Ayisha Modi – The Barking B*tch Capable Of Fighting With Her Own ShadowIn EntertainmentFebruary 24, 2021By the close of this year, barking b*tch, Ayisha Modi is likely to fight everyone in the entertainment industry. She is even likely to fight with ...[Read more]
- “If Bobrisky Is Beautiful, Let Her Come Out Without Makeup” – Nigerian Transgender, Michelle Page Challenges Bobrisky To A Beauty ContestIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentFebruary 24, 2021Nigerian transgender, Michelle Page has released a video daring Bobrisky to come out without makeup and filter. Michelle said in a video released to ...[Read more]
- Philadelphia airport offers robot food delivery to travelersIn LifestyleFebruary 24, 2021The future is now – at least at the Philadelphia International Airport (PHL). On Monday, the airport launched a robotic food delivery ...[Read more]