The owner of a bar in Florida has outright banned any patrons from wearing masks or face coverings amid the COVID-19 pandemic, saying he doesn’t “agree” with the idea.
Gary Kirby, the owner of Westside Sports Bar and Lounge in West Melbourne, told Fox News that he’s been getting death threats for prohibiting masks at his establishment but claimed that the people in his town have “for the most part been in 100% support” of his decision.
“I personally don’t agree with it. So that’s why I made the decision to… I don’t want them here,” added Kirby in a previous an interview with Fox 35 Orlando.
Kirby reportedly began banning patrons with masks as of Sept. 11, claiming that the CDC-recommended safety precaution is “hindering our lifestyle as we know it.” In a statement to Fox News, he added that he doesn’t agree with mask mandates because face coverings make it harder for his bartenders to identify if a patron has been overserved.
Kirby, however, claims he has another reason he’s wary of face coverings: He alleges that his bar was burglarized after hours on Aug. 9 by a man in a surgical mask. When asked whether he believed the suspect would have just shown his face prior to the pandemic, Kirby claimed that police told him that “criminals would be capitalizing on the mask mandate all over using it to their advantage to get away with crimes.”
He also admitted to Fox News that the police suspected the burglary was an “inside job.”
A spokesperson for the West Melbourne Police Department told Fox News on Friday morning that a police report was filed following the alleged burglary. Police also said that Kirby has been “uncooperative” with any attempts to investigate the burglary further and has refused to meet with detectives.
The bar’s new ban on masks has received mixed reviews on social media, with people as far away as Texas and California writing bad online reviews for the business, Kirby says. However, he told Fox News he also has “hundreds” of messages of support from fans on Facebook.
“I’m getting messages on my Facebook saying, ‘Hey, football, we’re coming there to watch the game,’” he told Fox 35.
But even with Kirby’s mask ban in place, customers won’t be able to walk into the bar without any type of screening at all. According to Kirby, a doorman greets guests out front and takes patrons’ temperatures before they can enter.
Once inside, any patron who dons a mask will be asked to remove it, WESH 2 reported. If they refuse to comply, they will be thrown out.
West Melbourne, which is located in Brevard County, does not mandate that businesses require patrons to wear masks before entering. Instead, county commissioners decided in July that businesses must clearly state their own mask policies — and whether they require them — at entrances.
“We simply encourage residents to follow CDC recommendations — which is to wear a mask. Period,” said Don Walker, the communications director for Brevard County, in a statement shared with Fox News. “There is no enforcement, etc., on mask wearing.”
New York Post
- Davido Living Up To His Riches, Having First Class Enjoyment With FriendsIn Celebrity NewsDecember 3, 2020Singer Davido who is known to be a person who loves to have fun, have stormed the internet with a first-class enjoyment he is having with some ...[Read more]
- Proud Boys join protest at defiant Staten Island bar closed over COVID-19 violationsIn USADecember 3, 2020Hundreds of people on Wednesday night — including members of the right-wing group Proud Boys — protested the closure of a Staten Island bar that ...[Read more]
- “I Am Thick In The Thighs And Thin In The Waist,” Says Nengi As She Puts Flaunts Her Banging Body (Photo)In BBNaija, Celebrity NewsDecember 3, 2020BBNaija star, Nengi, has caused a massive stir on social media after she shared a mouth-watering photo of herself flaunting her beautiful body. The ...[Read more]
- “I’m Happy, Last Wife Or Not” – Regina Daniels Throws Shades At Her CriticsIn Celebrity NewsDecember 3, 2020Actress Regina Daniels has thrown shades at her critics on social media who are always concern about her husband taking another wife. Regina Daniels ...[Read more]
- “My Husband Ned Nwoko Can Marry More Wives”- Regina Daniels Grants Her Husband Full Permission To Take Another WifeIn Celebrity NewsDecember 3, 2020Nollywood actress and Billionaire’s wife, Regina Daniels has reacted to her husband’s video that went viral on social media after his interview with ...[Read more]
- NYC church security guard accuses priest of sexual assaultIn USADecember 3, 2020A security guard at a Manhattan church has accused a priest of sexually assaulting her after she says she caught him watching gay pornography in his ...[Read more]
- Feds sue NY town for alleged anti-Semitic zoning lawsIn USADecember 3, 2020An New York town’s building laws are engineered to discriminate against Jews, federal prosecutors are alleging — in the third lawsuit against upstate ...[Read more]
- 102-year-old with ‘iron will to live’ survives COVID — twiceIn USADecember 3, 2020A 102-year-old New York woman who lived through the 1918 Spanish Flu and overcame cancer survived not only one — but two bouts with the coronavirus. ...[Read more]
- Midtown a ghost town for Rockefeller Center tree lightingIn USADecember 3, 2020The Ghosts of Christmas Present were about the only ones allowed near the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting Wednesday night — thanks to ...[Read more]
- Midtown a ghost town ahead of Rockefeller Center tree lightingIn USADecember 3, 2020The Ghosts of Christmas Present were about the only ones in in Rockefeller Center ahead of the annual Christmas tree lighting Wednesday night — ...[Read more]