Shane Lemieux knows he needs to be versatile coming to the Giants, but this does not mean he will be a fixture on the power play.
The rookie offensive lineman, taken in the fifth round of the NFL draft, has the most hockey-sounding named you will hear, leading to speculation that perhaps he spent some time on the ice.
“I’ve gotten that question for a long time,’’ Lemieux said Tuesday, smiling on a Zoom chat.
In college at Oregon, Lemieux at left guard lined up next to left tackle Tyrell Crosby, now with the Lions. The sight of “Lemieux” and “Crosby” in such close proximity conjured up images of a Pittsburgh Penguins Dream Team of Mario Lemieux and Sidney Crosby.
“People had a fit with that,’’ Lemieux — Shane, not Mario — said. “I’ve heard I’m not wearing 66, which is a crime, because I was 68 in college.’’
Lemieux is from Yakima in the state of Washington, a self-described country boy who one day wants to live in a cabin with loads of land. Coming to the Giants and New Jersey, that goal will have to wait. He met Justin Pugh, the Giants’ first-round pick in 2013, and Jets center Jonotthan Harrison while training in Arizona at the LeCharles Bentley offensive line academy, and Pugh — now with the Cardinals — and Harrison offered some suggestions as to finding some open spaces in hailing distance of the Giants’ practice facility in East Rutherford, N.J.
“They’ve done a good job kind of showing me where the places to fish are, where the reservoirs are and I’ve heard a lot about the surrounding areas, even the ocean you can fish,’’ Lemieux said. “I’m sure I can find something to do.
“At the same time I want to focus on the season. I’m not gonna be doing a lot of stuff. I’m probably just gonna be living wherever I am, playing ball and studying film.’’
- Rookie Shane Lemieux reminding Giants of champion Rich Seubert
- Giants’ Shane Lemieux says move to center will be a snap
- Come And Apologize To Me If You Ever Insulted Me For Saying Shatta Wale Is Confused And Inconsistent – Arnold Says After The Musician Proved That He’s Confused And Inconsistent
- Rangers’ Brendan Lemieux suspended two games for controversial hit
- NHL stars bash ESPN’s Max Kellerman for hockey-hating rant
- Listen to Episode 25 of ‘Up In The Blue Seats’: Women’s Hockey Needs More Love feat. Amanda Kessel
- Players form Hockey Diversity Alliance to confront racism in sport
- Daniel Carcillo heads disturbing junior hockey sexual assault lawsuit
- Women attack Canadian Black Lives Matter protesters with hockey stick