ALBANY — Beer pong alert: Gov. Andrew Cuomo is directing his recently heavy-handed State Liquor Authority to beef up inspections at watering holes frequented by college kids.
“With the return of college students for the fall semester, Governor Cuomo has directed the State Liquor Authority to increase efforts to ensure bars and restaurants in areas where college students gather are abiding by all public health measures,” a Friday press release announced.
It cited “egregious violations” in Cortland, Dutchess, Madison, Monroe, Oswego and Schenectady counties — some of which leading to the suspension of the business’ liquor license.
“With significant outbreaks linked to colleges and universities across the nation, these stepped-up efforts will help keep our students, faculty, staff, and the surrounding communities safe.
“On the list of casualties include Poughkeepsie’s Emmett Mahoney’s Irish Pub and Steakhouse in Poughkeepsie — a favorite of Marist College students.
State inspectors visited the establishment on Friday, Sept. 11 and observed 50 revealers drinking and floating social distancing requirements while dancing to a DJ sans masks.
Other offenders include Albany’s “Clubhouse,” following an Aug. 28 visit after multiple complaints were waged according to state records.
A state inspector found overcrowding, maskless patrons and “no evidence of food being served to those seated at the bar.
The SLA even tried — and failed — to contact the bar “to inform the establishment of requirements before the inspection,” phoning the bar “to discuss the complaints received.”
But an employee hung up while the examiner was reading out a list of violations.
The move comes as colleges in the Empire State and across the nation have seen a spike in coronavirus cases as students have returned to campuses for the fall semester.
Upstate’s own SUNY Oneonta became the first public college to be shut down and forced to transition to an entirely remote semester following an explosion of COVID-19 cases earlier this month.
Two hundred and one liquor licenses have been swiped by the state since March, 1,084 charges filed against bars and restaurants for alleged COVID-19 reopening requirements and social distancing violations as well as thousands of compliance checks reported.
New York Post
- 19-year-old Girl aAddicted To Married Men, Shares Her Sad StoryOctober 27, 2020A 19-year-old young lady who is thinking that its hard to oppose wedded men due to the endowments she gets from them, has shouted out for help. The ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Rapper, Falz Celebrates his 30th Birthday Today (+Photo)October 27, 2020Nigerian rapper, Folarin Falana prevalently realized as Falz is celebrating his 30th birthday celebration today, October 27th. The artist shared the ...[Read more]
- Ebonyi State Police Arrest Couple Who Chained 8-year-old House helpOctober 27, 2020Agents of the Ebonyi State Police Command have captured a couple, Philip and Agatha Iboko, for supposedly tormenting their eight-year-old househelp, ...[Read more]
- The 9 Brigade Of The Nigerian Army Arrest Corporal Who Flogged A Lady At ATM Stand In LagosOctober 27, 2020The 9 Brigade of the Nigerian Army has captured a Corporal, Omoh F, who was caught on video beating a lady at an Oshodi part of the United Bank of ...[Read more]
- Residents Cart Away #Covid-19 Palliatives In Abuja (+Video)October 27, 2020A few occupants of Abuja who raged a stockroom in the Gwagwalada Area gathering in the Federal Capital Territory on Monday October 26, to truck ...[Read more]
- EndSARS: Let’s Continue To Spread Awareness – DJ CuppyOctober 26, 2020DJ Cuppy has taken to online media to encourage Nigerians to proceed with the protest against SARS and police brutality in the nation. As per her, ...[Read more]
- #EndSARS: Famous Nigerian comedian AY Blasts Those Asking Why No Celebrity Died During ProtestsOctober 26, 2020Famous Nigerian comedian, Ayo Makun better known as AY, has gone hard on individuals inquiring as to why no big name died during #EndSARS fights held ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Man Reveals How An Iron protector Saved His Shop From Being Looted In Imo State (+Photos)October 26, 2020A Nigerian businessman, Chima Smart Nwaneri, has taken to Twitter to uncover how an iron defender kept his shop from being burglarized in Owerri, Imo ...[Read more]
- Popular Nigerian Cross-dresser, Bobrisky Reveals Two Things He Can Never DoOctober 26, 2020Nigerian cross-dresser, Okuneye Idris better realized as Bobrisky has uncovered two things he can never be seen doing. He made this disclosure in ...[Read more]
- Chief of Army Staff Responds To Travel Ban calls By International BodiesOctober 26, 2020Tukur Buratai, Chief of Army Staff, has responded to calls by International bodies requiring a movement boycott to be put on some military officials ...[Read more]