Leaders and stakeholders of Igbo extraction have reacted to the emergence of Professor George Obiozor as the new President General of the apex Igbo socio-cultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
Recall that two different elections, held consecutively on Saturday and Sunday produced Chidi Ibeh and George Obiozor as the President Generals of Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
Reacting, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu representing Abia South Senatorial district and former Abia State Governor, congratulated Nigeria’s former Ambassador to the United States of America (USA), Professor George Obiozor, on his election as President General of the highest Igbo body.
Kalu, who is the Senate Majority Chief Whip, stressed that the ex-envoy’s pedigree and goodwill earned him robust support from Ndigbo worldwide.
The former Abia Governor, who spoke in a message on Monday, congratulated the newly elected members of National Executive Committee, NEC, of Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
He also felicitated with the newly elected Vice-President and Secretary-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Dr. Kingsley Lawrence, and Chief Okey Emuchay, respectively, both who are indigenes of Abia State.
While re-affirming his confidence in the newly elected executive committee headed by Professor Obiozor, Senator Orji Kalu noted that Ndigbo is blessed with personalities, across various fields of human endeavour, many of whom have carved a niche for themselves in their professions beyond the shores of Nigeria.
His words, “I was elated when I received the news of the election of Nigeria’s former Ambassador to the United States of America (USA), Professor George Obiozor as President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
“The emergence of Professor Obiozor is not a surprise to me, owing to the new President-General’s rich and intimidating profile. The new President General has over the years built and sustained relationships locally and internationally.
“He has the wherewithal to advance the cause of Ndigbo in a united and indivisible Nigeria. I have no doubt that the newly elected executives will consolidate on the achievements of the outgoing executives under the leadership of Chief John Nwodo”.
Senator Kalu applauded Chief John Nnia Nwodo for his maturity, patriotism, and consistency during his tenure as President-General.
The former Governor, however, promised to sustain his support for Ohanaeze Ndigbo, adding that the apex Igbo socio-cultural organization is a pride of Ndigbo at home and abroad.
On his part, Minister of State for Mines and Steel Development, Dr. Uche Ogah, described the emergence of former Nigeria’s Ambassador to the United States of America, Professor George Obiozor as the new President-General of pan-Igbo socio-cultural group, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, as a victory for all Igbo sons.
The Minister, in a message on Monday, said Prof. Obiozor’s acceptance is evidently seen in the wide range of support he enjoyed from Ndigbo across the globe.
While emphasizing that the diplomat has a local and international appeal to amplify the voices of Ndigbo, Ogah expressed confidence that the new Ohanaeze leadership will make a significant effort in achieving the aspirations of Ndigbo worldwide.
“The emergence of new leadership for Ohanaeze in most peaceful manner is indeed a thing of pride for our people. This is coming at a time when the need for every Igbo son and daughter to stand up and be counted has become even more imperative.
“Professor Obiozor is not just a renowned diplomat but a bright scholar who has devoted several decades in placing Nigeria and the Igbo community on a map of pride.
“I have no doubt that he would justify the support and acceptance he enjoyed that later brought him into office.
“The onus is also on us to offer Professor Obiozor and his team the needed backing to succeed,” he added.
In his reaction, the Chancellor/Proprietor, Gregory University Uturu, Prof. Gregory Ibe congratulated the newly elected President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Professor George Obiozor, saying it raises the confidence in Ndigbo to look to the future with assurance that all will be well.
Professor Ibe, in a statement he made available on Monday, stated that Ndigbo have with the peaceful election demonstrated that they have a leading light in Prof. Obiozor who can speak for them.
He said, “our people have shown the entire world and all Nigerians that in you, we have a true leading light that would speak on behalf of our renowned race, stand for justice, equity and progress of our people.
“This victory accorded you today by God through his people has inspired great confidence in Ndigbo to look to the future with assurance that all will be well.We remain upbeat that your pedigree and distinguished personality will guide the course of our future as a people”.
- SAD NEWS: Actor Eddie Nartey’s Wife Dies 2 Years After Their MarriageIn EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021Actor Eddie Nartey‘s wife, Vida Obenewah Nartey, is dead just two years after their marriage. Teary Eddie Nartey announced the death of his wife in ...[Read more]
- BREAKING: Gunmen shoot soldier dead, cart away rifle in DeltaIn Local NewsJanuary 25, 2021A 48-year-old man, Akeem Bello, on Monday appeared before an Ikorodu Magistrates’ Court for allegedly causing the death of two persons through ...[Read more]
- Man in court over alleged manslaughter in LagosIn Local NewsJanuary 25, 2021A total of 176 persons have died in various road crashes that occurred across Ogun State between January and December 2020, DAILY POST learnt. The ...[Read more]
- Mzbel’s Beljam Records Introduces Signee Heartman With First Single Titled ‘For You’In Entertainment, MzbelJanuary 25, 2021On Friday, BelJam Records’ CEO Belinda Nana Ekua Amoah (Mzbel) outdoors her new signee Heartman Lali Ezuh (HeartMan) at an unveiling meeting with the ...[Read more]
- Zamfara : 8,000 civil servants petition NLC over pension refundIn NewsJanuary 25, 2021Nigerian Government through the National Information Technology Development Agency, NITDA, has reminded all data controllers and processors in the ...[Read more]
- Simi Explains Why She Named Her Album “Restless II” While On Apple MusicIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 25, 2021First-time mum singer and songwriter Simi was on Apple Music 1 over the weekend with Alexis Nadeska as she discusses her latest album “Restless II”. ...[Read more]
- Mind Your Business – Sonia, Jude Ighalo’s Wife Slams Fan Who Asked About Her MarriageIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021Sonia Ighalo wife of football star Jude Ighalo wants everyone to mind their business and stay out of any conversations involving her marriage. The ...[Read more]
- Woman cries out in pain as cows destroy her farmland (Video)In Gossip, Viral NewsJanuary 25, 2021A video has surfaced online showing the moment a woman arrived at her farmland only to see cows eating and destroying her crops. A bike man had ...[Read more]
- Man curses Governor Makinde as he shares video from scene of an alleged Fulani herdsmen attack he survived with his family (video)In NewsJanuary 25, 2021A Nigerian man who identified himself as Olarewanju a.k.a St. Larry has shared a video from the scene of an alleged Fulani herdsmen attack he ...[Read more]
- “I am so proud of this achievement” – 36-year-old Bauchi carpenter becomes father of 13 children as his four wives give birth within 3 weeksIn NewsJanuary 25, 2021A 36-year-old carpenter from Zango ward, Bauchi State, Nura Walwala Magaji, is over the moon after his four wives gave birth within three weeks, ...[Read more]