The biggest game on the Ghanaian football calendar takes place later today at the Accra Sports Stadium when Kumasi Asante Kotoko visit Accra Hearts of Oak.
With the two sides level on points at the top of the table, with four matches to play, the game is a potential title-decider.
The hype for the highly-anticipated game has taken over social media with fans of both clubs determined to outdo each other, while hoping their sides do the same on the pitch.
Both sides go into the match in a rich vein of form – Hearts of Oak are unbeaten in their last eight Ghana Premier League matches while Kotoko have not succumbed to defeat in their last nine outings.
However, as is the case with most derbies, the form guide goes out the window when Hearts and Kotoko play each other.
With the Accra Sports Stadium now permitted to fill 25% of its seats for the match, and the eagerness with which fans sought tickets ahead of the match, the atmosphere inside the stadium will be far from the most disappointing thing about today’s match.
And with the form both sides are taking into the game, this might be one of the most exciting matches the Accra Sports Stadium has witnessed in years.
What they said
Hearts of Oak coach, Samuel Boadu
“I want them to come and support the boys. They should come in their numbers because we’re going to deliver, they shouldn’t worry at all. We need the three points. We don’t have a problem with Kotoko, it’s the three points we have a problem with.”
Hearts of Oak
- Hearts are unbeaten in their last eight matches in the Ghana Premier League.
- The Phobians have won six and drawn two matches since a 1-0 loss to Ashgold in April.
- In that time, Hearts have conceded just three goals and scored 17 times
- They have let in two goals since the beginning of May
- Kotoko have not lost any of the last nine games in the Ghana Premier League.
- The Kumasi-based club have won six and drawn three of their since a 2-1 loss to Medeama
- In their last 10 matches, Kotoko have scored 15 goals and conceded nine.
Head to head
- The two teams have played each other 107 times in the league
- Hearts of Oak have a slight edge with 36 wins to Kotoko’s 35. 36 matches have ended in draws.
- Hearts have scored 116 goals in matches between the two sides while Kotoko have nine more with 125
- The first match between the two teams this season ended 0-0.
Venue: Accra Sports Stadium
Referee: Daniel Laryea
Ghana Premier League – Citi Sports Online
- MTN FA Cup: Record champions Hearts of Oak join holders Asante Kotoko and two-time winners Medeama SC in Round of 16
- GPLwk31: Hearts of Oak beat Asante Kotoko to move closer to winning title
- #SuperClash: Hearts of Oak one step closer to GPL title after win over Asante Kotoko
- MTN FA Cup: Asante Kotoko face Deportivo on Tuesday, Hearts of Oak battle Young Wise Wednesday
- Hearts of Oak snatch points against rivals Asante Kotoko, Liberty beat Inter Allies
- Hearts of Oak held by Liberty, Asante Kotoko beaten at Bechem – GPL day 33 Roundup
- MTN FA Cup: Asante Kotoko draw BYFA, Hearts of Oak face Liberty Professionals in Round of 64
- MTN FA Cup: Holders Asante Kotoko down BYFA to progress as Hearts of Oak thump Liberty Professionals to make Round of 32
- Special accreditation for Hearts of Oak versus Asante Kotoko match
- SUPER CLASH: Hearts of Oak want more fans allowed into Accra Sports Stadium for Asante Kotoko match