There has been a serious uprising at in the Volta Region of Ghana, formerly Western Togoland or Trans Volta Togoland and this is on the verge of enforcing threat to both historical formation of Ghana and the country’s modern politics.
Ghgossip.com, hereby in this post aims at enlightening our political readers, and our readers at large of the history behind the recent yearn for independence of Volta Region from Ghana.
Western Togoland is an area in the Republic of Ghana. The area is currently divided into five geographical regions; Volta, Oti, parts of Northern, North East, and Upper East Regions.
The Western Togoland includes Ho, Kpando, Hohoe, Dambai, Zabzugu, Yendi, Gusiegu, Nankpaduri, and Bawku.
In fact, the Volta lake (akosombo dam) and the Adome bidge was originally part of the Western Togoland.
Dr. Kwame Nkrumah deliberately took that part of land to the Eastern region, for a strategic region.
READ ALSO: Stay Away And Surrender To Western Togoland In 24-hours – Ghana Police & Military Cautioned
Germany established the Togoland protectorate in 1884, which was the year the African continent was actually demarcated.
Under German administration, the protectorate was regarded as a model colony or Musterkolonie and experienced a golden age.
During the First World War in 1914, Britain and France invaded the protectorate. After the German defeat, and the signing of the Treaty of Versailies, the western part of Togoland became a British mandate, British Togoland.
That is, after the defeat of German in the first world war, Britain and France divided the entire Togoland into two.
The western part became the western Togoland under British administration and the eastern part, now Togo became a French colony.
After the second world war in 1945, British Togoland became a United Nations Trust Territory that was still under British administration.
READ ALSO: Some 25 Members Of The Western Togoland Group Have Been Arrested By The Police After Road Block
In 1957, the Western Togoland voted in a plebiscite to become part of what is now Ghana.
In fact, it is a public record that the said election was rigged under the influence of Dr. Kwame Nkrumah.
The plebiscite had an inherent clause that says that the people can opt of Ghana and become an independent state after 50 years.
The people did not like the idea of belonging to Ghana, but the influence of Dr. Kwame Nkrumah and rigging of the elections made it happen.
Dr. Kwame Nkrumah knew at the time of independence that, there is the likelihood that the people can break away so he deliberately divided the Western Togoland into three (3) regions; Volta, Northern and Upper East Regions.
A lot of people with little knowledge on the Western Togoland have joined the conversation and attempting to down play and trivializing the efforts of these guys seeking independence for the Western Togoland.
The German before their departure had done a feasible study and had discovered Uranium a mineral in large quantities in that stretch of land.
The 50 years plebiscite agreement has elapsed and the Germany has interest in that part of the country.
In 1974, this attempt was made and Acheampong used the armed forces to curb their efforts.
That is how come a military base was set up in Ho. Our major problem is that we don’t read and so have no idea of what is happening.
Mark my word, there is German interest in what is happening today.
READ ALSO: Western Togoland Group Blocks Major Roads Entering Volta Region And Exchange Gunshots With Police
A lot of engagements have been done and there is an assurance for that purpose. Just forget about the little boys being arrested. There are heavy weights behind it.
Yesterday, German DW TV reported that, Western Togoland has gained sovereignty. It wasn’t just a mistake, it’s an agenda.
I am aware that, a lot has been done and the people already have their currency.
They have gain roots such that no chief or member of parliament in the Volta region can publicly condemn or criticise the actions of the group. If you dare make an attempt you are loosing elections.
READ ALSO: Ghana Police Service Hunt For Western Togoland Secessionist Over The Mount Of Signboards
The operational strategy of the group seeking independence was a bit problematic and tactically wrong, from my point of view.
All they needed to have done was to have engaged all the chiefs in the entire Western Togoland to seek for their consent and petition United Nations.
But there is a serious challenge. Yendi is part of the Western Togoland but Tamale is not.
So if Yendi agrees then Dagbon is divided which is a difficult thing to happen. So the group limited their activities to only the Volta region.
We got up yesterday only to hear that, these people have ceased two police stations, made away with their armoury and taken three police officers hostage.
This must be scary to every well meaning Ghanaian. No one knows who they have engaged and who is in support of this agenda.
READ ALSO: Western Togoland Secessionists Gets Serious As They Mount Their Signboard In Eastern Region
If these people are able to take hostage, the military at Ho, then they have a base.
They then become a rebel group and Ghana will have to go at war with them. There is a bigger problem than we anticipate and those in authority must accept the reality and act now before its too late. We have examples of such things in Cote d’ Ivoire, Cameron and Nigeria.
HISTORY OF THE VOLTA REGION (VR)
It is very necessary to correct the long-held misconception that VR and Trans Volta Togoland (TVT) are the same.
To say that VR is the same as what used to be called TVT or Western German Togoland from 1884 to 1916 or later, British Togoland, is a mistake. It is the same mistake the new bred of seccessionists are making.
VR is an entirely new Ghanaian creation which had no old version before 6th March 1957. Only a little portion of it(VR) can be traced back into TVT. In fact, the entire Anloland, Avenorland, Tonguland, Pekiland, Tsitoland, Ketu/Aflaoland etc etc did not form part of TVT. These lands have always been part of British Gold Coast, now Ghana. The portion of VR that belonged to TVT constituted only a minority member of the TVT.
READ ALSO: About 2000 Western Togoland Military Personnel Allegedly Pass Out Successfully
TVT consisted of 6 districts which participated in a 1956 plebiscite to join or not to join the Gold Coast. These districts were from Mamprusi (UER), Dagomba (NR), Gonja (NR), Buem -Krachi (BA/VR), Kpandu (VR) and Ho (VR). TVT was actually a landlocked territory having no access to the sea.
After the TVT voted YES (58% against 42%) to join Gold Coast, and on attainment of independence by Gold Coast on 6th March 1957, TVT was split variously and placed into UER, NR, BAR, and a newly created region from part of the Eastern Province of Gold Coast named Volta Region.
Volta Region is not the same as and cannot represent TVT.
Shallom and God bless.
- Regina Daniel’s mother, Rita Daniel took to her IG to celebrate her youngest daughterOctober 31, 2020Veteran Nollywood actress and movie producer, Rita Daniels has taken to Instagram to reach out to her , Destiny stating that she misses her presence. ...[Read more]
- Wizkid ‘Made In Lagos’ album is already topping various music platforms in less than 48 hours after the releaseOctober 31, 2020Nigerian singer and songwriter Wizkid ‘Made In Lagos’ album is already topping various music platforms chart in less than 48 hours after the release. ...[Read more]
- “A very big congrats to comedienne”, Regina Daniels congratulates Taaooma as her boyfriend proposedOctober 31, 2020Nollywood Actress Regina Daniels has taken to social media to react to comedian Taaooma’s boyfriend marriage proposal to her which went viral. ...[Read more]
- Ini Edo blast Desmond Elliot, Tells him to man upOctober 31, 2020Renowned Nollywood actress and brand influencer Ini Edo has taken to her social media page to hit hard at her colleague actor Desmond Elliot ...[Read more]
- Nollywood actor and comedian, Williams Uchemba unviels his wedding plansOctober 31, 2020Popular Nollywood actor and comedian, Williams Uchemba has recently taken to his social media page to unveil plans of his upcoming marriage with his ...[Read more]
- blogger shows the face of the child Desmond Elliot has with another woman outside wedlock(Pictures)October 31, 2020One blogger, Gist Lover has shown the face of the child Desmond Elliot has with another woman outside wedlock. Desmond Elliot is now on the public ...[Read more]
- Nigerian singer, Yemi Alade walks away with all the applause at TED’s virtual countdown global launchOctober 31, 2020Nigerian singer and songwriter Yemi Alade walked away with all the applause at TED’s virtual countdown global launch with her amazing performance of ...[Read more]
- A loyal fan of Davido sparks controversies on social media with his comments about fellow musicians hating DavidoOctober 31, 2020A loyal fan of Davido has sparked controversies on social media with his comments about fellow musicians hating Davido because he is from a wealthy ...[Read more]
- “I thought somebody said something”, Stefflon Don shares a seductive photo of herself after following Burna BoyOctober 31, 2020After Burna Boy and his girlfriend Stefflon Don unfollowed each other on social media, the British singer has shared a seductive photo of herself on ...[Read more]
- See the picture of the funny Bridge constructed Desmond Elliot as constituency projectOctober 31, 2020Nigerians have descended on Desmond Elliot after a photo of the bridge he constructed in his constituency surfaced online. The youths in his ...[Read more]